Hello.

I have a question. I am experimenting with a rod build. Now I have been around reading a long time but am very short on actual practical experience. I have a spare 10' two piece full flex 3wt rod blank. A person from down under said you need a lot of flex in a two handed rod. So I decided to make my 3wt a spey. He said it could be done. He refers to it and the wee TS ....wee trout spey. I have had some custom work done on it for me. Now I am ready to add guides. On a normal rod up to maybe 7wt I prefer single foot small undersized guides. I use Fuji Alconite BLAG #6. Now I have built some flexibility into this rod just for fun. I can disconnect it and add an 8" slip on slip ring grip and fish it in tight quarters as a 5'...fly rod...or hang an open face spinning reel on it and fish various ways. From lure casting to even flies. I can remove the 8" grip and put the ten foot rod back together. Now the permanent grip is a 12" with a 1" diameter cork grip with slip rings and a removable fighting butt. So in this case I can fish it again...as a single hand rod...with a fly reel on it or a spinning reel. I can remove the fighting butt and add another 12" seamless cork extension....so the slip rings now have a full 24" of grip to slide up and down on. So now I can place a reel anywhere I want to on the rod and fish....again as a fly or spinning rod. But....the idea is to play with it as a two handed rod. I have learned that spey rod designations do not correlate straight across to single hand rods. BTW this rod is for inland trout...stream/ponds/lakes.

Anyway, sorry for the above lengthy explanation. The real question is can I still use single foot guides...similar to the Fuji's or do I need stronger ones with side supports?

Biggest question is what size guides should I put on it? I am not familiar with the diameter of Skagit heads, Scandi heads, Spey lines, or the size of guides I must have to pass those lines....and the associated knots they will have.

Any suggestions would be extremely appreciated. I have no idea what size to use...I just know I like small and I like single foot. But too small and it wouldn't even handle a skagit head.

Asking for a little help please.

Thanks in advance.

Jim