+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I just don't get it (texting)

Default I just don't get it (texting)

I gotta vent to someone so here's as good a place as any. What in the world is the big deal with texting on phones???

I'll make this as short as I can. My niece (12 yrs old) got a cell phone about 6 months ago. Now first off I fail to see where a little 12yr old girl needs to have a cell phone but she's not my daughter so it's not may place to say, anyway. Anytime my sisters family comes over anymore all my niece does is have her phone out texting. Out comes the phone and the thumbs are going 100mph. It's no lie at all when I say not even a full 2 minutes goes by without her flipping her phone up and texting. They came over to the house today to do some Christmas stuff like bake cookies and such and in the 4 hrs they were here I honestly would guess she sent well over 200 text messages. And it's about the lamest things as well. Crap like-

"what u doin?"
    "nothin U?"
    "nothin i'm bored"
    "me 2"
    "i'm gonna get a sandwich"
    "K I already ate"
    "K brb"

Stuff like the above is so important that you have to constantly have a life line connected via a phone to talk to someone about??

It's not just my young niece either. My 41yr old sister was even texting while she was here, and its the same lame type of conversations. Her friend texted her so I asked "what did she want"....my sisters reply..

"Nothing, shes at the laundromat"

Being at the laundromat is such breaking news you have to text someone to tell them your there?

I keep in touch with friends, but I usually will sit down and pick up the phone once a week and actually place a phone call to talk to them in person (imagine that!) We'll talk for 10-15mins get caught up on whats new and that's it. I don't need to know they are bored, or what they had to eat for lunch, or that they just stubbed their toe or any other mundane thing.

Am I the only person on earth that just does not get this whole texting thing? maybe I'm getting old I dunno.

Steve

MCFR,

I don't get it either. Freaks me out when I see folks driving on the freeway...texting. Cell phones are bad enough, but texting.

As far as keeping in contact with people, I think it's an age related thing. The older we get, the less important the mundane becomes.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

MCFR,

I don't understand the importance of "texting" either!! It is either "texting" or video games.

I understand your "rant" and what I see going on in this world with the "future" generation that will be running it, really scares me!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Talking

Hey guys... thanks for the tex message on texting, I don't get it iether...lol

Tim

Oh yeah, and I hope you guys have a really good day...............;0
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

please do not throw anything at me but i cannot live without texting either..
    i text between 2000+ texts a month and my mom wants me to text more instead of using up our family plan minutes! My family pays over $400/month on cell phone plans and texting is actually saving us money by not over using our minutes $10 Unlimited text&picture messages.........

Me & Mom Verizon family plan package + unlimited txt + fees&tax = $200
    Sister Verizon Basic Blackberry plan with internet + unlimited txt + fees&tax= $150?
    Dad T-moblie basic 800 minute plan + fees&tax = $80

If anyone know how to save money on phone plans, please do tell me and not owning a phone is NOT AN OPTION

Arrow

lol sorry just had to add that post, I didn't get texting for while iether, then I found as the post above that its ALOT cheaper as do most all of the younger generation knows. My mom bless her heart, din't get it iether for along time, now she keeps her cell with her every where now that she knows she can here from her Kids, grandkids alot more cause you don't have to worry about time and what some one is doining, if want to say something to someone, just send them a text, they will text back when they have free time, that way you can have a conversation at anytime...
    "Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

Blog Entries

with the prices cell phone companys charge texting is becoming more and more popular. my girlfriend and i text each other all day. I use it as a ean to snd her loce omes. simple i love you's and other littlecute lovie dovie things. but w have als used it to argue over as well allowing us space and a means to communicate without letting out tones cause even more stress in the agument. it also comes in handy when you need say something and well if yor like me can put it in words better then with your voice.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineC View Post
    with the prices cell phone companys charge texting is becoming more and more popular. my girlfriend and i text each other all day. I use it as a ean to snd her loce omes. simple i love you's and other littlecute lovie dovie things. but w have als used it to argue over as well allowing us space and a means to communicate without letting out tones cause even more stress in the agument. it also comes in handy when you need say something and well if yor like me can put it in words better then with your voice.
    ditto!! and especially useful for people who have long distance relationships like me

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by kenstah View Post
    If anyone know how to save money on phone plans, please do tell me and not owning a phone is NOT AN OPTION
    why not just talk to your family and friends face to face?

that saves alot of money every month!

If you guys can't live without texting, then you should re-think about the world around you. The phone companys have you right where they want you and you're falling into the wireless trap of sucking money out of you. What would your bill be if you didn't have texting?? Wanna save money?? call and be short about it....
    If you're spending that kind of cash on phones and texting,--wow. I can't imagine that. What kind of money are you making to spend that on phones?? Lets be REAL honest here. You don't NEED a phone to do this. You WANT a phone to do this. NEEDS and WANTS. Anyone that has been bringing up kids in this world understands exactly what I just said.

I use a small grocery store near me and found a young man texting while stocking shelves. Thought it was pretty stupid and then I sat back and watched him. He texted about once for every 3 cans stocked. Imagine how many cans he would stock if he had that phone turned off?
    I went back two days later and saw him again. Doing the same thing. Decided to ask him a question on where the marachino cherries were. He said---"give me a minute" as he was answering a text. Talked with the manager. Seems that young man was told before about his excessive use of his cellphone. I know he was told to eithre keep his phone in the car or find another store to work in.

Steve and I talk about once every two weeks on the phone. We have a small luxury of spending a few cents to do this. We cut our selves short on conversations because we realize--time is money. If he's talking to me, he isn't producing and if he isn't producing, he isn't making money. Same goes for other employees while working. If you worked for me and you had the time to do that while working, we would have a short conversation. I can understand having short conversations dealing with family and friends while working but you need to keep that on a very low priority.
    I bet most are now thinking---boy,glad he isn't my boss. Then you think this is ok to do at work. What is it hurting. I have time....---til you're in charge and you have to answer for low productivity.
    OK so your not doing this til you're off work. Fine. Now what, text while you're driving instead??? I don't think the hospitals need more patients right now----oh wait, their texting friends saying I got a guy lying here on the gurney bleeding--not much new--TTYL

Gotcha Steve---I'm with ya. and what the heck were you telling me you're buying those spoiled rotten kids again????

+ Reply to Thread