I actually had a little chuckle when this article popped up. It brought back countless memories of my own fly angling experiences.

The fly rod angler is a rare thing here in Southern Ontario. I like nothing more than to pull up to a warm water lake or river, get out my fly rod and go see what's in it. Often there are others around and often I listen to the quiet side comments of anglers and observers who whisper..."Look at her. She's fly fishing! Ha ha ha... What does she think she's doing, fly fishing here? She'll never catch anything",proceeded by numerous giggles and finger pointing. The assumption being, on their part, that fly fishing is for trout...and only trout. I love this part and it always makes me laugh.

I learned early in my fly fishing career, that fly fishing is for fish...any fish in just about any situation. My home waters...500 meters (a few more in yards, in Yankee talk) from my door, is a warm water river. I learned most of what I know about fly fishing, on this river. I also have a few warm water ponds withing a few minutes drive but Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair are often within reach for me. I gave up my spinning and bait gear long ago. I only use a fly rod...and when I see the looks on those unbelieving observers faces when I bring in fish, I have to admit that it brings me great satisfaction. ...and it teaches them a valuable lesson.