+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANGLING AND TROUT - Readers Cast (Gigmaster) - December 14, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default ANGLING AND TROUT - Readers Cast (Gigmaster) - December 14, 2009

ANGLING AND TROUT

It?s a good bet that many modern warm-water anglers have been frustrated at one time or another by a well-meaning person's Angling-Impaired assumptions about fly fishing. Many is the time that a person has seen my fly gear and immediately said, "Oh, you're a trout fisherman, huh?? I'm sure they mean no harm. But why is angling so tightly associated with trout? I have a few ideas on the subject. Please bear in mind that they are strictly my own ideas, rather than proven fact.

I actually had a little chuckle when this article popped up. It brought back countless memories of my own fly angling experiences.

The fly rod angler is a rare thing here in Southern Ontario. I like nothing more than to pull up to a warm water lake or river, get out my fly rod and go see what's in it. Often there are others around and often I listen to the quiet side comments of anglers and observers who whisper..."Look at her. She's fly fishing! Ha ha ha... What does she think she's doing, fly fishing here? She'll never catch anything",proceeded by numerous giggles and finger pointing. The assumption being, on their part, that fly fishing is for trout...and only trout. I love this part and it always makes me laugh.

I learned early in my fly fishing career, that fly fishing is for fish...any fish in just about any situation. My home waters...500 meters (a few more in yards, in Yankee talk) from my door, is a warm water river. I learned most of what I know about fly fishing, on this river. I also have a few warm water ponds withing a few minutes drive but Lake Huron, Lake Erie and Lake St. Clair are often within reach for me. I gave up my spinning and bait gear long ago. I only use a fly rod...and when I see the looks on those unbelieving observers faces when I bring in fish, I have to admit that it brings me great satisfaction. ...and it teaches them a valuable lesson.

"There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

During my many years at Ft Bragg, North Carolina, I spent many hours fishing small ponds and lakes with a fly rod. I got the looks of disbelief that a fly rodder would even dare show up at those lakes. There were no trout there.

When bass, crappie and bream fell prey to my flies, my fishing style and method became a subject for conversation and accounted for several converts to the ways of the long rod.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default Blame the British Empire1

Most who are alive today, never grew up in a time when there was an British Empire! It was proudly stated, The Sun Never Sets on the British Empire!.

The British Empire ruled rule a vast collection of regions (large and small) throughout the whole world. The King of England, who was also the Royal Head of the Church of England and Defender of the Faith, as well as the His Royal Majesty Ruler of the British Empire!

Wherever the flag of the British Empire was planted in the name of King and Country they also planted roses and trout. Only those of the higher classes were considered deserving to fish for trout, and only by the long rods, that we now know as fly fishing.

So that even today, it is common for those who does not fly fish, to still thinks that there is some Golden Rule , that states a person can only fly fish, for Trout and Salmon.
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-14-2009 at 10:07 PM. Reason: correction

Hi,

I really enjoyed this article. Thanks.

It's funny though. All I could think of while reading it was that when I was growing up in Nova Scotia fly fishing meant salmon. People tended to fish trout with worms. It wasn't unusual for people to fly fish for trout or anything like that, but the first thought would be flies for salmon and worms for trout.

Some of the British flies, Derbyshire Bumbles in particular (see Donald Nicholson's site), seem to have been specifically targeting greyling. Curiously, the British don't seem to have transplanted greyling anywhere near to the extent that trout were moved. I wonder if the "flies for trout or salmon" is more typical outside of the UK, while in the UK it's trout/salmon/greyling?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

+ Reply to Thread