+ Reply to Thread

Thread: THE BENCH CLOTH - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - December 14, 2009

Blog Entries

Default THE BENCH CLOTH - Readers Cast (Tom Deschaine) - December 14, 2009

THE BENCH CLOTH

Each of us (tiers) has a table, bench or designated area where we practice our craft. I prefer to keep my area clean, neat and organized. The tools and materials for each fly are brought out on a need-to-tie basis, and then returned to their storage containers after the completion of the tying session.

This is a really good idea. I've seen a couple of tiers at the expos using them to keep the tying area clean. Nothing worse than moving into a tying spot and finding the remnants of marabou or deer hair clippings all over your area from the last tier.

I wonder how a slicker material would work? Maybe something like the old table cloths we used to have for the kitchen table. Do they even make stuff like that oil cloth anymore?

Thanks for the reminder. Gotta have one for the next tying session.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I use a piece of teflon sheet, plexiglass will work too,make shure you rin a file over the edges to knock the sharp ends down. 20x 24, 3/16th thick.. cleans easily and keeps the desks finish in good shape
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

To borrow and modify a phrase I once heard: " A clean tying bench is the sign of a sick mind".

My tying bench has been clean twice in recent history - when I packed it up to move and when I first unpacked it!

That's a great idea and could be used to make a cloth for the table when tying at shows. Maybe even get it embroidered with your name or a logo perhaps?

TxEngr

TxEngr,

Exactly what I saw at the shows. Sort of an oil cloth with the tiers name embroidered on it. Very neat way to keep things tidy. When he was done tying he just picked up the cloth and carried it to a trash can for cleaning. Rolled it up and stuffeed it in a tying case pocket.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Default A Place for Everything, and Everything in it's Place!

When it comes to dressing hooks, clutter slows a tier down. Things get misplaced (now where did "It" go? Materials get contaminated with clippings from other material (specially with dubbing).

I like the idea of using a cloth that you can just pickup and dump all the clipped off material into the trash bucket.

I also save small plastic trays from microwave dinners, for keeping my material separated is separate compartment while dressing hooks.

Tiers of all levels can use this to help speed-up their fly tying, and keep "She Who Must Be Obeyed" (SWMBO) in a good mood! Nothing worst than a hook ending up in someone sock or other peices of clothing! Been there, done that!

Sometimes, I am dressing various patterns, and when done, put all the materials back into their appropriate containers-bags, and toss them into my "Box" for later stocking back into their appropriate storage containers on the shelves of "In My Room"!

I not only dress hooks at my work bench, I also build fly rods, and make tapered furled leaders. I also have to sometime use the area for home repairs. So I have to keep everything in its place, and sealed up, when not being used.

~Parnelli

Smile

For decades now I've used the plate glass top on my desk. A great advantage is that it is easy to sweep all the debris over the edge into a wastebasket after tying with my pedestal vise but best of all is that the surface is immune to glue and solvent base paint etc. Cleanup there is simple using a single edge razor blade.

Default Bench Cloth

Interesting thread that I have read with interest especially since I am a novice tyer. My bench has a formica top that cleans very easily. I lay out the materials and tools for a tying session after which the materials go back in the drawers or hung on pegs on my peg board above the bench. I then sweep the bench top into my waste can. Most of my tools are keep on a kind of Lazy Susan that I got from my wife'e sewing work room that holds tools and quite a few spools of thread. This seems to work for me at least for now. The idea of an oil cloth makes a lot of sense; I haven't since that kind of material for a long time.

+ Reply to Thread