+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: disabled vets

Default disabled vets

This post goes out to all of my brothers in arms. First off let me give you all a little background on me so that you know where I am coming from. I spent 6 years in 5th group special forces. I was wounded in a place many years ago that Uncle Sam tells me I never went and I am not allowed to talk about yet my very best friend in the world made the ultimate sacrifice and gave his life for me. This has been something that has been very hard for me to deal with and in 1986 I tried to take my own life but I feel like God sent someone to find me and bring me back so that I may some day be able to bring joy to others and in some way touch their hearts. I have recieved emails from people who have offered to send me things that they don't need,and that really touched me in such a way that I can't explain. I am sorry for all the rambling on, but I thought if I shared some things with you all, you would understand where I am coming from. As silly as it may sound, fly fishing for me is like meditation. It helps me clear my mind of all the things in the past and just focus on what is in front of me. I'm sure I can't be the only one that feels this way, so this post is for all the disabled vets out there. First of all I want to say thank you for your service and I care about you all deeply. And secondly, if there are any of you needing anything I will help you all I can. With that being said I have some Indian vises, tying scissors, goose and turkey biots, wet hackle and probable some other things I can round up if you need them. not to buy but to give away, just let me know. And as for Normand, that was a very noble thing you did as well. It's so nice to see people opening up their hearts this time of the year to help others out. So , my challenge to the rest of you, is to post anything on this thread that you no longer want or need not to sell, but to give away to those less fortunate. Sorry I was so long winded, God bless you all and Happy Holidays,

Erby

Blog Entries

as a disabled vet myself i wanted to say thank you that was great. its the kindness of others that makes this world a better place. thank you

check your pm , i have something to share with you
    Please, support Project Healing Waters....Thank You

same here. check your pm.
    best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

TNHM,

As a disabled Vet myself I can assure you that flyfishing is a soothing pursuit that puts us outside of ourselves. Sometimes I just get lost in the rythm of the cast. It is a pure source of healing for me.

I did spend some time around Smoke Bomb Hill at Bragg myself. I spent a good deal of time with the 82d in the 1/325 and the 2/508 after my tours in Nam. Spent a couple years with the 173d Airborne Brigade (left after 875 in 67) and later in the war, Company C (Ranger), 75th Infantry (Airborne). Finished out 23 1/2 years at Ft Lewis, WA when I retired in 1988.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Erby... Is there any chance you were with us in Spruce Pine for the Project Healing Waters outing this fall?
    I know I helped two vets from TN and we had a ball!
    If you weren't at the event, drop me a P.M. and we'll see about having you join us next year. It don't cost you squat and we feed, house and rig you up.
    Most of the guys in our PHW group from Salisbury are Viet Nam vets and really seem to get a lot out of fly fishing.
    C'mon and join us and let some worries flow downstream. Heap strong medicine that!

Default Jackster reply

Hi Jackster,
    No I wasn't there, but Spruce pine isn't that far from me and I would love to meet up next time. Thank you,

Erby

Blog Entries

Erby,
    I am a vet too. I wanted to thank you for your service. Project Healing Waters is a great outlet for disabled vets. I feel the same way about fly tying, and fly fishing. There is something about it that just soothes me. I think a lot of vets feel like you do. I think this board has lots of vets who can relate to what you said here.

Default still waiting

I still have items to share if anyone needs them. I have pheasant tail feathers, goose biots in many colors, soft hackle, and a few Indian vises.

Erby

Erby,
    I was in 7thSFGRP and have things and places I can't talk about also.
    You are Doing GOOD if You need any stuff keep me in mind. I got out OK Physically. Been Sober almost 25 years. AND it don't mean nothin what the "Powers That Be" say find another Vet and TALK...It Help's.
    Bod Bless

+ Reply to Thread