+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Intimidation

Intimidation like that is a "self defense mechanism." There is a reason you're uncomfortable with a particular stretch of water. Something inside you says this could be dangerous. In which case, it's probably going to be dangerous for you. My best advice is to get familiar with a piece of water before getting in over you ankle bones. As others have said, break it down to smaller pieces or go back to what you really enjoy; Streams and Ponds. I'm a Streams and Ponds kind of guy myself. I just wish I had more of them to fish. Most of all, have fun.

Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Best advice I ever recieved on fishing the Madison River - "if your boots are wet, you're in too deep". Got that from one of the guides at Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone. It's a big, fast river and there's so much water, but as others have said, if you break it down into manageable, bite-sized chunks, you can turn it into a series of connected 15-20 foot wide sections that are a lot easier to fish. Although I do get in the water often on the Madison, I've never felt the need to be a hero (or idiot) and try to wade to the middle of the stream when there's so much good water closer to the bank.
    Some of the best advice I ever got was something to the effect that "as far as the fishing in concerned, the Madison is only 10 feet wide -- the five feet from either bank."
    Bob

Wink Go get wet .....

When I first started fly fishing, I had a similar reaction when I fished any new big water. Not intimidation but a feeling of being overwhelmed.

One suggestion I read somewhere is very similar to most of the comments already made above - fish it like it is thirty feet wide.

A couple other suggestions.

First, try to get the best information you can on places where there are a lot of fish. That way you will find out if your results are based on your timing, tackle, and technique or the water you are fishing. You can do everything right in water with no fishies and go home empty handed, having learned nothing at all. If you know the fish are there, you will be able to learn, through observation and experimentation, what works to hook up with them.

Second, consider fishing streamers ( or wet flies ) to explore new water, especially big water. I find it a lot easier to cover a lot of water with a streamer fished off a full sinking line cast across or down and across and swung / stripped through as much water as I can cast to. You may not get as many fish on a streamer as you would nymphing or fishing dries, but you might be able to detect patterns of where the fish are. Same principle with wet flies ( on a floating line ), which might be better than a streamer if there is definitely a hatch in the works when you are there.

Don't be concerned about getting wet. It's going to happen at some point in a big river. Just be aware of the water depth and speed below your position at all times and use common sense. Be in condition to deal with getting dunked, and be prepared to deal with the consequences of getting wet.

John
    The fish are always right.

A larger river is just a whole bunch of small streams running together. It will take some experience before you learn to see and fish them ALL. But you should be able to walk the bank and find a FEW already. Fish those to start with. Fish them the same way you would the small streams you are familiar with. Deeper water is just fished...well...deeper when using sub-surface flies. Faster water must be fished with a mind to getting your flies deeper faster and keeping them down (more weight, sink-tip fly lines, more absorbant materials, bigger flies made of more absorbant materials, more directly upstream casts, casting further upstream of the water you actually want to fish, and the tuck cast are all various tools for achieving this). When fishing the surface, you must pay attention: keep slack out and tension off your line. Things just happen faster. So the timing is a bit different. But you will adjust quickly enough. Eat the elephant in small bites. Don't spend too much time standing in one spot. Don't be afraid to cover more water more quickly using streamers or other wet flies on a down-and-across swing presentation (especially with a sink-tip line in the deeper portions). You're not trying to catch EVERY fish in a big river every time out. Small streams are approached far more delicately and methodically...as a general rule because you are more visible to more wary fish and you only get one chance per "fishy" spot and you may have to move pretty far to find another one. Not so on most larger streams. You already made the first few good observations and adjustments: dump the non-angler and give yourself some time to focus, take the bigger tackle, and go back and try again.

FYI, most big water anglers are intimidated by small water, too. So don't feel bad at all.

Great advice so far. I'm surrounded by deep, fast water with the Henry's Fork and the South Fork of the Snake River (which, by the way, still intimidates me during the summer months when it's running at 13,000 cfs), Fish what looks comfortable to you. Find wadeable water with a bit of riffle action and work your way up to fishing the deeper stuff. I fish the South Fork (right now at 1,300 cfs) not much differently than I fish the Big Lost River (running now at 86 cfs). I pick the water that my experience tells me holds fish, and it's usually not the faster, deeper stretches. As you visit the water more and get a better working knoewledge of it you will gain more confidence and find more fish.
    Best advice given here is DON'T FORGET YOUR WADING STAFF! Critical on whatever water you're fishing.
    I forgot my staff while fishing Big Elk Creek last July and severely sprained my ankle while wading - the very ankle I just had surgery on to rebuild and repair it due to that bad sprain. Had I had my wading staff it probably would not have happened.
    Good luck, have faith and patience. Trust in your gut and don't go into the water when your gut tells you not to. But return often to that water to build your confidence and knowledge.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

It's only intimadating until you get used to it . Keep safety formost and look at big water like a collectiion of small waters. You'll get more comfortable with big water with familiarity. But , if you're like me (and Iknow I am) , small water will always have a certain appeal.

thanks everyone! i will be back to small water when the season opens up... this river is just the only place open all year and the closest, about an hour from home. I will not give up but i will scout more while there and study more instead of trying to wet a fly rite away.

garb72,

I have no better advice about big water than what has already been said. But, it works both ways. I call the Skagit River in NW Washington my home river. It is a big river. I think it is the 5th or 6th largest river in the lower 48. I love the Skagit and have no issues fishing it. My problems begin when I fish a small river. Especially a small trout stream. How the heck do you fish something that is only 5 to 10 feet feet wide? I have no clue where to start. How to cast. How to read the water. I am totally lost. I wouldn't even know what fly to use.
    "The reason you have a good vision is you're standing on the shoulders of giants." ~ Andy Batcho

I know the feeling. I prefer smaller rivers and creeks, but I have fished the bigger ones. Safety ABOVE ALL ELSE. If your "spidey" senses tell you that the water you are looking at looks like its too much for you...it is. Trust your instincts first. It really isn't advisable to hit new "big" water alone. I would advise you to get as much info about the system you are fishing before heading out. (tail water? what sort?) Issues with flash floods? Average depth...obsticles, etc. Your best bet is to save some bucks and hire a guide familur with that water. Once you have had that sort of introduction to that river, you may feel more comfortable...or at the very least, know where the dangers lie.

I am not a very big fan of big water rivers....but I'm a huge fan of guided float trips on them. You can always check with local clubs or test out local web sites or this even one to see if anyone knows the water your interested in. They may be able to give you places with angler freindy access or at least suggest some approaches.
    "There's more B.S. in fly fishing than there is in a Kansas feedlot." Lefty Kreh

"Catch and Release,...like Corrections Canada" ~ Rick Mercer

alright, all pics are deleted. well you know where it's at now. or where i fish on that river most of the time when im there.
    Last edited by fresnoflyman; 12-13-2009 at 04:33 PM.

+ Reply to Thread