I've posted this info before and I'd like to post it again. I hope you find it useful.

Hi!
I started my two eldest daughters, now 12 & 14, fly-fishing a little over 6 years ago when they were 6 & 8 years old with the Cabela's Fly-Fishing Combo's-Youth Outfits for $75. This outfit came with a 7'6" 5 wt medium action and very forgiving flyrod, Cahill Reel, 5 wt floating flyline, backing, 4x tippet, rod case and Basic Fly fishing Book. I was very happy with the quality and durability of this outfit. This outfit now goes for under $100 but you get a rod/reel case and video. I think this outfit goes on their Summer Sale List for $89 in a few months. Another outfit that you should at least consider is the LL Bean Quest Outfits for $99.

With that said, my eldest daughter outgrew the above outfit four year ago. After she test cast many rods at 2 Fly Fishing Fairs she decided she liked the Sage 3 wt 8'6" DS2 Outfit and wanted one for her birthday in May. Luckily for me I won this very same outfit at my fly-fishing club's annual Christmas Banquet and it came with a Lifetime Warranty on the Flyrod too! Unfortunately, the Sage DS2 Outfit has been discontinued. The thought here is that you might want to look at the other ?beginners? rods that are on the market that are of higher quality. I gave her Cabela's Outfit to her youngest daughter, 4 1/2 & my last child. I started her out that summer. She is 8 now and loves to go flyfish/camping.

I'd like to also recommend you read either Fly-Fishing with Children: A guide for Parents by Phil Brunquell MD or First Cast: Teaching Kids to Fly-Fish by Phil Genova. I've read both books before I started my daughters out and it helped me navigate through the pitfalls of teaching my children to fly fish.

On a personal note, when you finally do decide to take your nephew on his first fly fishing trip I'd recommend you do NOT bring your flyrod! You are his guide and it's his day. Make it as funs as HE wants and let him do whatever he wants within reason! When I took my daughters on their first couple fly-fishing trips I acted like a guide and they were my clients. I only helped them when they asked questions and wanted me too. They were on their own but within my eyesight. I only encouraged them and applauded when they did something right. After an hour or so they wanted to snack so we ate. Then they wanted to look for bugs under the rocks, throw rocks into a pool, go on a hike, take their socks off & play in the water and finally they wanted to go back and fish. At the end of a very splendid day when we started to drive home they told me they had a great time and wanted to know when we were going to go fishing again.

The more fun you make it for them, the more they'll love it and want to do it again. The more you take them the closer they become a fishing buddy. Just remember to have fun and keep it fun for your child too! Think of it as a legitimate excuse for you to become a kid again! *S I hope you have as good a time as I did with my daughters!

Four years ago, my eldest daughter and I went on our first father/daughter fishing trip over a weekend. It was fantastic as we fished together, C&R many fish, looked for Indian spearheads, took long walks together, went for a swim, went sightseeing and had the time of our lives! She still talks about those BIG BURGERS I cooked for us on the trip! We now look forward to our annual trips together but now I take all three of my daughters.

Sorry for the long dissertation! I just wanted to help you out on your new adventure of a lifetime! If you need any advice please ask! I'd be happy to help you out.

Good-luck!

Joe