I've only been fly fishing since October or so, and while the first two days were pretty pleasant (wading in Missouri streams around Steelville with a friend), the last 5 times have been cold. So far, I can't cast very well, though an OK cast happens from time to time, and I've caught two fish (smallmouth and carp).

The thing that struck me was that I became very acclimated to the cold since we had a good month of 10-20 degree weather, more or less. Then, when we had some days in the low 40s or high 30s I thought, "this will feel like summer!".

We have a bunch urban trout lakes in St. Louis that are sticked every year, and they are catch and release only (I think also no live bait) in January. Bass and other fish may also be present. So, I went into Forest Park (of World's Fair fame) to practice casting at Jefferson Lake, and maybe catch a fish.

I consistently under-dressed the first three times out, however. The "warmer" temperatures came with increased dampness, and it felt colder than 20 degrees had. I do have plenty of cold weather gear, not necessarily fishing-specific, but it does little good sitting in a closet at home. I think I was more exposed to wind than I had expected, also. Since I go running by there every Sunday, why any of this took me by surprise is a mystery- of course I generate a bit more heat running than fishing, and thought I was accounting for this. Not so.

I tried fishing off the bottom of the lake with a full-sinking 5 wt line; one of the other two on the lake was having success off the bottom with some kind of spin-casting setup and a lure that I never saw. I had two good strikes on a woolly bugger, but couldn't hook anything. The strikes only came with fairly fast stripping. I did get hooked in the hand by another fly fisher- he was quite good, but a gust of wind surprised him- lucky I had the gloves on. He then caught some small trout with a nymph/indicator setup while I was skunked.

Well, possibly as a reward for reading this post that doesn't say much, I'm including two photos from my Flickr acct from fly fishing Rose Canyon Lake on Dec 29. The lake was beautiful, up at around 8,500 ft in the Santa Catalina Mountains, north of Tucson (a short drive). My brother-in-law, fly fisherman since childhood, caught a number of trout. It was about 20 degrees, ignoring wind chill. We went twice and one day the gusts were 40-60 mph (really, as in this isn't a fish story: gusts were blowing cars off the highway down in the valley (tragically), but the wind didn't start until we were up the mountain and had hiked the two miles through the snow to the lake. No way were we leaving...). We stopped at a scenic lookout on the way down and were pelted with a continuous hail of small granite pebbles. On that first day, when the wind was high, my hands were cold enough that I threw a bunch of flies straight into the lake before I relaxed and focused more on the knots.

What I had never seen before was a spider in the snow (pic 2). This was as cool to see as the wild turkey, deer, bobcat (!, that was a first), and hawks (I never tire of watching them, or any of the animals). I wonder if this would be a good winter fly pattern?

My Flickr acct has more photos of the Arizona fishing in December (and hiking, etc., and also pics of Maine, like my icon).

Today, back in St. Louis, I'm just tying knots and reading up on salt water techniques. My local shop's casting lesson was canceled yesterday due to illness, so I hope all is well there soon. I need that lesson ASAP!

Best wishes.