+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wrapping Thread

Default Wrapping Thread

I'm currently working on a flyrod built on a Forecast F764-5 blank that I recently picked up at Hook and Hackle. I'm at the point of wrapping it and have a question.

I've only built 3 rods up to now so I'm certainly still new to all this. Since I wrap the guides by hand (no power wrapper) I find it difficult to get the wraps tightly packed so I've gotten into the habit of just wrapping 5-8 turns and then manually packing the threads by sliding them together using my thumb or fingernail, wrapping another 5-8 turns and then packing the threads, etc. until the wrap is complete.

Is this a common way to do this for you "hand wrappers" or do you spend the time trying to wrap each turn as tightly as possible to the previous wrap? I'm not necessarily unhappy with my wrap jobs so far but figure anything I can do to improve it makes sense to try.

Any other techniques to achieving a decent wrap? I tried burnishing the wraps on my first rod but I had 3 or 4 wraps pull apart when I rubbed them so I'm reluctant to try that again.
    Take Care ...
    Steve
    \><((((((*>

I like you steve use a hand wraper. That is how I tighten my wraps as well. I have a thread tensioner so the thread is going on tight and most of the time I don't have to pack just choose to do so. I make sure my thread is angled back towards where I started and then spin the rod. About every 5-8 turns I slide my fingernail against them just to make sure they are tight as I am turning the rod. As time goes on you will get faster at it if that is what you desire. If you have locked down the thread good you can burnish the wraps with no problem It sounds like the thread was not locked down good. I use a tribal polyester thread I use for furled leaders to make my loops to pull the thread through. I make these about 4 inches long and that way I can use as many wraps as I want to lock the thread in. Most times it is just 10 to 15 wraps but at ties it can be more. Then after I pull the thread through I pack one last time with my fingernail and pull on the tag end at the same time. After I am through I pull tight on the tag end and cut it with a razor knife. Then I burnish the wrap. Hope this helps.
    Last edited by harleybob87; 12-09-2009 at 11:52 AM.

I wrap professionally and have for over 20 years. Although I do own a power wrapper, it gathers dust ... I still wrap 99% of my rods by hand. Wrapping by hand allow better control and finer work, IMO.

One thing and one thing only will improve your wraps/packing ... practice.

As noted above, keep about a 5 degree angle so the thread wants to naturally pack and nudge when needed. It will all come together for you and become easier, just keep at it.

Jim -

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    I like you steve use a hand wraper. That is how I tighten my wraps as well. I have a thread tensioner so the thread is going on tight and most of the time I don't have to pack just choose to do so. I make sure my thread is angled back towards where I started and then spin the rod. About every 5-8 turns I slide my fingernail against them just to make sure they are tight as I am turning the rod. As time goes on you will get faster at it if that is what you desire. If you have locked down the thread good you can burnish the wraps with no problem It sounds like the thread was not locked down good. I use a tribal polyester thread I use for furled leaders to make my loops to pull the thread through. I make these about 4 inches long and that way I can use as many wraps as I want to lock the thread in. Most times it is just 10 to 15 wraps but at ties it can be more. Then after I pull the thread through I pack one last time with my fingernail and pull on the tag end at the same time. After I am through I pull tight on the tag end and cut it with a razor knife. Then I burnish the wrap. Hope this helps.
    Harleybob: If I might sir, instead of cutting and pasting your post I'll just quote you as the method I used was word for word as you describe with the exception on the thread part. I always used Gudebrode that required CP if I desired it and yes ..IMO...Id say his thread tension isnt tight enough

I used my thumbnails and also a Gudebrode teflon burnisher / thread packer

my apologizes. I made it a little confusing I use the tribal polyester thread to form the loops to pull the thread through only. I use the Gudebrode to wrap the the guides etc.

I apologize I made it a little confusing I use the Gudebrode thread no cp to wrap the guides and I use the tribal to form the loops to pull the thread through. It is increadable strong and will not break after several rods. regular Gudebrode tends to break if you have more then 10 wraps over it when you are pulling through. I tried wire and that cut the thread, heavy mono seemed to leave ungodly gaps so I tried the tribal and it was fantastic. I have thousands of yards of it and it was cheap at wally world. It makes a great furled leader as well.

Like Jim I've wrapped hundereds of rods. I save the power wrapper for thse big butt surf rods that get size E thread.
    For the other rods I have gotten in the habit of actually running my thumbnail against the thread as it hits the blank. It automatically packs the threads. Everyone knows when I've been wrapping as there is a slight divit in the edge of my nail.
    The only things we permanently keep, are those we give away-Waite Philips

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

Hi Steve... I'm chiming in only because you probably want to hear from a few guys....
    I'm not a pro, but I've wrapped quite a few rods. I pretty much use the same methods as H-Bob does. I have a wrapping outfit I built, and two thread tensioners I built into it so I can have two colors going. I put together a spring loaded adjustable drag on the thread spool holders, and I turn things by hand.. I've fashioned a couple thread packers, but nearly always use a thumbnail every so many wraps. I'd rather go slow and get the details just right. I've been encouraged to set up a power wrapper, but at this point, I think that would just get me in trouble.....I build things for a living, on the side, and as a hobby & pastime. I just about always prefer to go slow, do it the old way, and by hand
    .........................Happy Rodbuilding..............ModocDan

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by harleybob87 View Post
    my apologizes. I made it a little confusing I use the tribal polyester thread to form the loops to pull the thread through only. I use the Gudebrode to wrap the the guides etc.
    It is amazing to me how many little tidbits come up with this forum.

I wrap the same way these guys have mentioned and burnish the thread, but I have had a few wraps come loose at the tag end. It is aggravating to say the least. I have wrapped a total of 4 rods and am almost ready to wrap #5 and #6, so I am still devising new ways to mess things up.

I have been using loops of the wrapping thread or a really neet, long metal needle threader to pull the tag end through. Neither is really satisfactory. The wrapping thread loops want to break on me, or cut the tag. (The wraps are tight!) The metal threader will sometimes cut the tag off short where it is hard to get a grip on it to trim it.

So, what is this "tribal" polyester thread and where do I find it? Would a bit of mono work? How about the little mono "threaders" for dental floss? For that matter, what about dental floss? This is undoubtedly the thing that gives me more trouble with wrapping than anything else.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    It is amazing to me how many little tidbits come up with this forum.

I wrap the same way these guys have mentioned and burnish the thread, but I have had a few wraps come loose at the tag end. It is aggravating to say the least. I have wrapped a total of 4 rods and am almost ready to wrap #5 and #6, so I am still devising new ways to mess things up.

I have been using loops of the wrapping thread or a really neet, long metal needle threader to pull the tag end through. Neither is really satisfactory. The wrapping thread loops want to break on me, or cut the tag. (The wraps are tight!) The metal threader will sometimes cut the tag off short where it is hard to get a grip on it to trim it.

So, what is this "tribal" polyester thread and where do I find it? Would a bit of mono work? How about the little mono "threaders" for dental floss? For that matter, what about dental floss? This is undoubtedly the thing that gives me more trouble with wrapping than anything else.
    Often I used loops of mono....short sections of leader material as my "pull loop". If your breaking leader loops of "about" say 4X material....you got your thread wraps TOO tight.

I used a flexible arm light above my wrapper...and on the top of the light "shield"..??..I took a piece of masking tape...made a loop of it...and then stuck that loop on the light shield and flattened it down. Now...having a section of "sticky" right at hand...Id stick my pull loops right there so they were always right at hand but never in the way

+ Reply to Thread