+ Reply to Thread

Thread: LORD IRIS - Just Old Flies - December 07, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default LORD IRIS - Just Old Flies - December 07, 2009

LORD IRIS

Here is a rather unusual streamer from Preston Jennings. It puts into practice some of his theories regarding the way trout see underwater. He thought that the water would break up images into their component colors, as a prism breaks up light into individual sections of the spectrum. This theory was just one component of his scientific approach and treatment of all things fly fishing. He stated: The proper coloring of the lure is determined by viewing the object which it is desired to simulate through a prism and coloring the lure in exactly the same manner as it appears through the prism.

Default Lord Iris

Another interesting fly pattern from Eric Austin, along with the background history on the person who originated the pattern, and the thought process involved with its creation.

It has had me wondering for a long time, just how fickled anglers can become , leaving effective fly patterns behind and forgotten, moving on to some patterns that is reported to be either new or improved.

I have dressed many a hook using some of the "Old Flies" that have been showcased on FAOL, and found that they are very effective in catching fish.

Eric! Thank you for another find article, you are one of my favorite writers, I love reading what you have to write.

In connection with the above, there is a new book, being offered this month in FAOL's Monthly Drawing, "The New Scientific Angling" (Trout & Ultraviolet Vision) written by Reed E. Curry. Humankind has been catching fish quite well, over the centuries, why do we keep tossing away what which works?

~Parnelli
    Last edited by Steven McGarthwaite; 12-08-2009 at 04:08 PM.

Eric,
    I've noticed that on a lot of the "old flies" you use a black hook, and list something like a Mustad 3399 in the recipe. Where can a guy get black wet fly hooks? I think for "show" flies, a black hook really puts it over the top in some cases.

Zac

Zac: I asked Eric the same question, it is just how the photo is, the the hooks are bronze, they just look black in the photos.

If you want black hooks, just use a black "Sharpie Pen". That is what I do.
    ~Parnelli

Thanks. That looks SHARP! I might try dipping some in black head cement I've got.

6. Default

Steven,

You said:
    "In connection with the above, there is a new book, being offered this month in FAOL's Monthly Drawing, "The New Scientific Angling" (Trout & Ultraviolet Vision) written by Reed E. Curry. Humankind has been catching fish quite well, over the centuries, why do we keep tossing away what which works?"

I don't know why some constantly seek novelty in artificial flies and, as you say, toss away that which works. The book, OTOH, investigates, among many other things, twenty-two dry flies selected as the best by Dave Whitlock in 1984 and explains why they are attractive to trout. It also provides insight into the reasons for the effectiveness of the Fanwing Royal Coachman and the Hairwing Royal Coachman - flies that bothered imitationists such as Preston Jennings and Art Flick, who reasoned that since the Royal Coachman clan resembles nothing in the insect world, those flies should not take trout.

Don't assume because the scientific discoveries are new, that the flies are also new. : )

While, according to Solomon, "there is nothing new under the sun", the sun illuminates in ways we cannot, but trout can, see.

[BTW, most of the flies in the book were tied by our friend, Eric Austin.]

+ Reply to Thread