+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WINTER FISHING - Neil - December 07, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default WINTER FISHING - Neil - December 07, 2009

WINTER FISHING

Yes, that time has come, and despite our denials summer has retreated before the relentless onslaught of blasts of arctic air, and global warming is not yet strong enough to deflect its determined will. It has been a long time coming, and it will certainly overstay its welcome. For those of us that due to circumstances beyond our control, such niceties like jobs, bills, and other more mundane reasons, make it impossible for us to escape to warmer climes we must find a way to avoid shooting the TV or kicking the cat. Thus we try to find a way to fish during the winter. It?s possible, even enjoyable, but the rules are different than those that apply during the warmer months.

Great article Neil.

Because there is no closed season here in Iowa I fish throughout the winter. Provided it is not too windy or bitter cold. I still wear my breathable waders but wear aqua stealth boots in place of felt. Although I try not to fish when its windy or too bitter cold (19 degrees has been the coldest) I still stay warm in my breathables. I think a good base layer of moisture wicking underwear and socks is the key followed by wool as Neil has suggested or fleece.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Blog Entries

Default COOL vs COLD

I grew up in Vermont.

Winter fishing in Vermont consisted of waiting until Late December or January when Lake Champlain was cold enough to support the snowmobile and ice shanty. Bring along an ice auger, cut a hole and drop the bait.
    Stand there and freeze to death while catching..
    Actually those snow mobile suits keep you very warm and toasty.

Plan B involves being in a nice warm (heated) ice shanty, looking down a 2 by 3 foot hole. Kind of like fishing in a big aquarium.

Plan C said screw it all.. Get out the ice boat and do some 'sailing'

I still remember catching lots of perch, and cooking them up with homemade onion rings. Nothing but great memories there.

This get warm gear and play IN the water though... Someones got a few screws loose I think. ROFL..

--Ron--

Ron T,

We're gonna have to get you geared up to chase winter steelhead, since you live close to so many steelhead rivers.

Iced up guides on the rod, fly line frozen stiff, numb finger tips that have turned blue, snotcicles hanging off your nose and no fish. Yup, don't get any better than that.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

You steelheaders are just plain cuckoo! Even if the weather was nice, who wants to catch one fish every week or so.

Blog Entries

Default aw come on...

it's not the number of fish you catch..
    It's the number of sick days you get to use up after going fishing....

Ya... That's it.

+ Reply to Thread