+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Herbert hoover ramblings

I haven't read Raines (reviews always made me think his stuff would be a bit depressing), and I'm on the NC end of the Blue Ridge, hours away from central VA, but I believe I read that his dislike of Hoover was mostly because of the way the property for Camp Rapidan, and later for the Shenandoah National Park, was procured. I don't want to start any arguments over the claims of the locals vs the official park service story, and I'm quite sure that many of them didn't own the land they farmed, so had no say-so in the sale, just that Raines' attitude might have been the result of a poor natives vs rich outsiders feud.
    -CC

I do recommend reading Raines books even though I don't agree with him especially on politics. His fishing book, actually titled "Fly Fishing Through the Mid-Life Crisis", I retitled after reading, "Fly Fishing Toward a Mid-Life Crisis". was quite revealing as a memoir, as it showed a man that was destined to end a marriage beginning with his honeymoon. Authors such as Bro. Raines show the diversity of the fly fishing brotherhood of the angle. His politics really come across and his rancor and despite toward his native South are evident. More later.

+ Reply to Thread