+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Herbert hoover ramblings

Default Herbert hoover ramblings

After having read Howell Raines book "Fly-Fishing Toward a Mid-Life Crisis", I was provoked by the good ole Alabama boy's thorough disgust for our 31'st president to look into what he actually stood for and did. So first of all I looked up a small book by him written shortly before his death. "Fishing for Fun and to Wash your Soul" is far more down to earth than Raines book and I do believe that should you go to the trouble to look the book up you will be rewarded with a good read, without all the put-downs that you find in our more modern author with a political agenda attached to his fishing. Now I have settled into reading "Hoover The Fishing President" by Hal Elliott Wert. So far an excellent book. Hoover doesn't seem to be the man everyone wanted to portray him as. Anyone else read either of these?

Have not read them yet, thanks for the tip!

Merry Christmas
    Relaxed and now a Full Time Trout Bum, Est. 2024

3. Default

I have a fondness for Hoover's "Fishing for fun and to wash your soul". Another fishing President/writer is Jimmy Carter. His first book on the outdoors - " An Outdoor Journal: Adventures and Reflections" - is a good read.

I've not read either of those, but I'll try to put my hands on them soon. Thanks for the heads up.

As for Howell Raines, I never encountered the writings of a more vitriolic, partisan ***** in all of my born days. He's should be singularly held responsible for the demise of a once great newspaper, the New York Times. I read 30 pages of his fly fishing book, encountered severe diaharea, and thankfully had the remaining pages to clean myself.

Hoover has been much maligned over the decades. In large measure FDR did exactly what Hoover was trying to do. Didn't work then and won't work now.

Hoover is quite the interesting study beyond his fly fishing.

Vic

Quote Originally Posted by zaxaca View Post
    As for Howell Raines, I never encountered the writings of a more vitriolic, partisan ***** in all of my born days. He's should be singularly held responsible for the demise of a once great newspaper, the New York Times. I read 30 pages of his fly fishing book, encountered severe diaharea, and thankfully had the remaining pages to clean myself.

Agreed -- worst fishing book I ever read. I have never understood its success.

I too attempted a read of the "Mid life Crisis" book and was quite bored and share your sentiment that I could not understand what people found good about the writing.

I 2nd the opinion re J. Carter's work referenced above.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

Cool A bad divorce

can do that to one. I really don't like it when a book is publicized as a fly fishing book and it isn't - or so loaded with sex it doesn't matter. James Prosek has written some neat stuff, unfortunately he wrote one which I felt was out of line. See http://www.flyanglersonline.com/review/week148.php
    I've heard from one author that his publisher told him to "sex it up" - that wears a little thin doesn't it?

Blog Entries

LadyFisher, I've confronted a couple of mystery writers about that "sin-drome". Why is it that murder always seems to foreshadow illicit sex?

As for "sexing up" a fishing book...

"...She swung her rear in a casual motion sure to be noticed by every male in the place. It seemed to propel her to one, particular member of the opposite sex. He was big and strong, skin reddened by the sun and passion. She hovered there indecisively, admiring the light blue that fairly glowed from his gill flaps. (ed note: Y'all didn't think was about trout, did you? Write what you know...) Was this The One. Could she make the commitment to him that she had been unable to make to so many others? Was she being too forward? She eased forward, by his side. She felt the faint caress of his pects against her bulging flanks. She knew that at long last, this was the mate that was right for her. Suddenly there was a terrible noise and rush of current around her. A shiny disk of metal dropped through the meniscus and fell towards her. In a flash, her male rose from his bed, spun 'round, and attacked the threat. The battle was as swift as it was violent. When the ripples calmed, she was left alone, again..."

Ed, NBOF Romance Writer in Residence

Talking

What the world? lol
    What was this thread about... I thought about Hoover...
    Here's a pic of some of his favorite waters that I like to fish... I would like to read some more about him, I like his fishing holes...

"Because by the Grace of God I can, be on a beautiful mountain stream with a friend , have the water boil from a 12" Native Brookie taking a self tyed dry,and feel it on the end of my cane... It don't get no better than that..."

+ Reply to Thread