+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Completely unknown blanks...

Blog Entries

Default Completely unknown blanks...

I have a chance at what looks like some fair blanks. No one seems to know if they are fly blanks or what, though. The numbers on the bags go something like this for most of them.

FY-904-56

That blank appears to be a fly blank, 9', 4pc and the butt diameter is about right for a 5 or 6w. The numbering system seems consistent for the ones that are numbered.

However, there are some in there with butt diameters of well over .5" and some of them are not marked at all. One is marked as a spinning rod with silk screening on the blank.

I know using the Common Cents System will tell or confirm suspected weights for the fly blanks, but how do I tell if it is something other than a fly blank? I can get these so cheap it would be silly not to if I can somehow distinguish what is what.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

I, along with several others here at FAOL have build fly rods on spin blanks, and vise-versa..... I have two fly rods built on spin blanks that I like quite a bit. Last year I built my son a spin rod on a 9' 6wt fly blank that had about 8" of the butt damaged. I made it a 7'10" spin rod, an he says it's the best spin rod he's ever fished. Nice light action, and casts the little panther martins he likes to use very nicely.
    I think in the higher end stufff it may make a significant difference to folks, but in the mid range stuff, I think it's highly subjective. I say try them... If you don't like them, folks here, including myself, will surely be interested in buying them from you......ModocDan

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    I have a chance at what looks like some fair blanks. No one seems to know if they are fly blanks or what, though. The numbers on the bags go something like this for most of them.

FY-904-56

That blank appears to be a fly blank, 9', 4pc and the butt diameter is about right for a 5 or 6w. The numbering system seems consistent for the ones that are numbered.

However, there are some in there with butt diameters of well over .5" and some of them are not marked at all. One is marked as a spinning rod with silk screening on the blank.

I know using the Common Cents System will tell or confirm suspected weights for the fly blanks, but how do I tell if it is something other than a fly blank? I can get these so cheap it would be silly not to if I can somehow distinguish what is what.
    Its a 9 foot-zero inches for either a 5 or 6 wgt line. Typically the "4" in it would be for a 4 piece blank. Hence a 964 would be a 9 1/2 foot blank 4 piece

You cant use "butt diameter" to determine "line weight". Typically..Lamiglas" company blanks have larger ( to me MUCH larger) diameter blanks than say Sage for the same line weight. The taper itself is the controlling factor.

As already posted.."aint no fly blanks" they are blanks..period.
    Last edited by Sully; 12-06-2009 at 06:01 PM.

Blog Entries

I am going to make this guy an offer tomorrow and see if he will take it This stuff has been sitting there not making any money for him and they are trying to clean old stuff out. So... We shall see what we shall see.

These are pretty blanks. All of them are a brown to reddish brown in color and should work just fine if set up right. At least that is what I was thinking.
    Kevin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Its a 9 foot-zero inches for either a 5 or 6 wgt line. Typically the "4" in it would be for a 4 piece blank. Hence a 964 would be a 9 1/2 foot blank 4 piece

You cant use "butt diameter" to determine "line weight". Typically..Lamiglas" company blanks have larger ( to me MUCH larger) diameter blanks than say Sage for the same line weight. The taper itself is the controlling factor.

As already posted.."aint no fly blanks" they are blanks..period.
    That is the way I was reading the numbering, too, and it seemed to fit without pulling out a tape and bag of pennies.
    Kevin

Quote Originally Posted by kbproctor View Post
    That is the way I was reading the numbering, too, and it seemed to fit without pulling out a tape and bag of pennies.
    SOME companys will list a blank length in inches... A 9 footer being called a "XX108" for example. 9 1/2 footer being a "114".

KB,

I use a lot of what they call 'spinning' or 'casting', and even some 'ice rod' blanks to build fly rods on. (Once in a while I'll even use a blank marked 'fly' if I can't find a better option ).

The blank itself has no idea what kind of rod it'll be use for.

As long as you put the proper line on it, ANY blank can cast a fly line.

And, if you really want a 'fast action' fly rod, you HAVE to use a spinning blank...while they may 'claim' to make 'fast action' fly rods, they are only 'fast' compared to fly rod blanks...

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Quote Originally Posted by Buddy Sanders View Post
    KB,
    And, if you really want a 'fast action' fly rod, you HAVE to use a spinning blank...while they may 'claim' to make 'fast action' fly rods, they are only 'fast' compared to fly rod blanks...Buddy
    That is where the Action Angle helps.

Hi Kevin,
    I'm pretty certain the FY-904-56 is definitely a 9' 4pc 5/6wt fly blank. I'll bet it's a brown color blank, too. That is the model number system I've seen for the import blanks that go by the name "Tiger Eye", and they are pretty nice blanks for the money. They are of an IM6 / graphite II type modulus and medium fast action generally in the 4pc.

I have a blank that was sent to me free that has the same model numbering system. My blank is the 6' 2pc 2/3wt model, and is labeled as FY-602-23 on the bag.

As for the other blanks, who knows? I'd be curious if they are all graphite, or if some of the larger diameter blanks might be fiberglass. What color are some of the other blanks, what type of ferrules do they have, and what are the lengths? Spinning and casting blanks will generally feel stiffer than fly blanks, unless they are true ultralights, so if you have a chance to give some of them the "wiggle test" it might tell you a lot. If any are spinning/casting blanks, and if they have any kind of model numbers, quite often those blanks will have a 3-digit model number with the first 2 digits being the length in inches, and the 3rd digit being the "power"...with 0 being the lightest power (like ultralight) and up to about 6 power or so for the more beastly type rods.

Anyway, I hope you find some nice blanks for cheap!

Quote Originally Posted by LeoCreek View Post
    As for the other blanks, who knows? I'd be curious if they are all graphite, or if some of the larger diameter blanks might be fiberglass.
    Some blanks might be, but some companys control the action via "diameter and taper". Some will use higher modulus graphite...or different layups VS adding glass

+ Reply to Thread