+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not FF, but I am glad my Sister-in-law is blond...

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default Not FF, but I am glad my Sister-in-law is blond...

A couple of years ago, my sister-in-law bought a nice little 2 stage Craftsman 5.5 horse snowblower. Light and easy to maneuver. The perfect size for her. The woman is STILL convinced it is a 2 stroke and that she did right by mixing motor oil in the gas. She got it started once and then never again.

A week ago, she gave it to me. It had never been used, just started the one time. "Too much trouble" I put fresh gas in it, changed the plug, squirted a bit of starting fluid in the plug hole and busted it off. It belched and blew blue smoke for a bit, then smoothed out and purred like a kitten. This morning, I hit the primer and it started on the first pull.

Sure is a lot easier to handle than the old 13 horse monster I use for deep snow. I wouldn't pull that out for less than 8-10". Now I have this nice little one to use for the light stuff.

Yup. I sure am glad she's blond.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

It's a wonderfull thing. I guess she thought 2 stage meant 2 stroke.

I did small engine repair for a few years and saw alot of people not put oil in 2 strokes but not 4 cycle oil in 4 stroke gas.

Thats a classic.

TB

Blog Entries

It was very obvious that the snowblower had never been used. Everything in the auger area and chute was pristine. You don't often see a plug fouled that bad, that fast, though.
    Kevin

You just better hope that nobody on this BB knows your SIL and forwards your post to her!

True, redheads have the worst tempers, but perhaps she has red roots.
    No man can have too many fly rods;
    no woman too many shoes.

4-strokes WILL run on premix. No problem.
    Yes it can lead to a fouled plug though.

I guide people on a long dirt bike trail ride in Colorado. We sometimes have to use premix in 4-stroke bikes. It's absolutely no problem at all.
    Last edited by Big Bad Wulff; 12-07-2009 at 01:36 PM.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Blog Entries

We are not talking pre-mix. She used motor oil and way too much of it. I'm surprised it started at all for her. However, it is probably what kept the carb from gumming up from stale gas.
    Kevin

Smile

Just LoL here!

Reminds me of a story my Boss told me years ago.

Seems he was closing the work site for the weekend. Passed the fuel pumps at the camp and was a bit peaved that someone had cut the lock and he noticed that about 20 gallons was missing from the log.

He heads down towards town (100km of gravel) ... about 10 miles down, he finds a contractor's pickup parked on the side of the road, but no contractor. ... About 2 miles later, finds the contractors 3 wheeler, still no contractor.

About 5 miles later, he sees the contractor walking along the road.

Seems he was low on gas and wouldn't have been able to make it to town, so he cut the lock and put a few gallons in the tank. He left a note on the tank, but we figure the breeze sent it on it's way.

The pickup died for some reason and wouldn't fire properly. He siphoned gas out of the tank to fill up the 3 wheeler, went on his way, but it died too!

He never realized that he had taken FUEL (diesel) instead of GAS!

I still laugh every time I think of the episode!
    Brian Marlow told me this story in the McGregor logging camp in 1985. The name of the contractor won't be repeated to protect the hydrocarbon challenged.
    Christopher Chin

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    More years ago than I will ever admit to, the fire stations in Casper all had above ground tanks for fuel and gas. The kind that used to sit on stands and gravity fed to the vehicle. The locks were getting cut and gas stolen at such a rate that they simply started putting the gas in the diesel tank and diesel in the tank marked "Gasoline". Every now and then, the lock would get cut, but no one got very far and the word soon got around.

When folks figured out what was what, they simply switched tanks again.

Devious, but effective.
    Kevin

Well, the blower is a Sears two stage 4 stroke, 28 or 30 inch wide, I think. Anyway, a bigger one, selfpropelled of course. And when the snow gets more than I care to blow, the 48" wide plow on the atv works really well, and is fun in the process! It even works well on the sidewalks!
    Wyo-Blizzard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by fcch View Post
    Just LoL here!

Reminds me of a story my Boss told me years ago.

Seems he was closing the work site for the weekend. Passed the fuel pumps at the camp and was a bit peaved that someone had cut the lock and he noticed that about 20 gallons was missing from the log.

He heads down towards town (100km of gravel) ... about 10 miles down, he finds a contractor's pickup parked on the side of the road, but no contractor. ... About 2 miles later, finds the contractors 3 wheeler, still no contractor.

About 5 miles later, he sees the contractor walking along the road.

Seems he was low on gas and wouldn't have been able to make it to town, so he cut the lock and put a few gallons in the tank. He left a note on the tank, but we figure the breeze sent it on it's way.

The pickup died for some reason and wouldn't fire properly. He siphoned gas out of the tank to fill up the 3 wheeler, went on his way, but it died too!

I still laugh every time I think of the episode!
    Brian Marlow told me this story in the McGregor logging camp in 1985. The name of the contractor won't be repeated to protect the hydrocarbon challenged.

Chris, I saw a fellow put gasoline in the tank of a diesel tractor. The only way that he got it shut off was to drive it into a pond. No, he never did live that down.

Ed

+ Reply to Thread