+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fishing/living in Pennsylvania

Here for me is Chester County, W of Philly. Even when I lived down South (14 hr drive)and of course when I was in upstate NY, I considered the Beaverkill home water.

But when I do a sort on the Excel spreadsheet, I put in more different days on the Little Lehigh, up near Allentown. Part of the problem is that I have a half dozen trouty waters within 20 min. and I tend to spread out my time on those.

Then the week-2-weekers are mostly over the fly-over zone; once to CO and Jellystone, but now the less crowded waters in OR and Sierras.

My algorithm is: 1-3 hr quickies: nearby streams, several of which are limestoners so they are good year round;
    - 1 hr drive half day trips: Lil Lehi, Tulpehocken, and others
    - 2 hr drives: Carlisle area, Clarks and others, or N to Poconos
    - 4 hr drives: these are usually overnighters, so it's the Catskills.
    Curiously, I drive right by lots of excellent, destination-quality PA water, but the lure of the Catskills is ineffable.

Anymore than 4 hr drives>>>> I fly. Heading West usually means I can be ffishing the same afternoon. I know hunks of MT, UT, OR, CA, CO and NM better than I know central PA as a result. I need to fix that these next few years, since there appear to be more troutable stream miles in PA than most of the other states.

It's all good, when you have spring creeks.

------------------
    tl
    les

Now ya'll are just filling me up with envy.

Jerry

------------------
    Dream the Life, Live the Dream
    Laugh at yourself first and all else falls into place
    Board of Directors, Valley Forge Trout Unlimited

[url=http://www.flyreeldots.com:f8f53]FlyReelDots.com[/url:f8f53]
    FAOL Sponsor
    Dream the Life ~ Live the Dream

Jesse,
    Home here is the bustling metropolis of Catasauqua (cough, cough) - just East of Whitehall and North of Allentown. I live 4 blocks away from the Lehigh River and about 10 minutes away from the Little Lehigh. I fish the Little Lehigh the most since I drive right by it on the way home from work. This is actually a great place to live, as I have 4 limestoners to pick from within 20 minutes drive, and I can be in the Poconos inside of 30 minutes. Not too shabby!
    Ed

Is this a cool thread or what!?

I live in Honesdale, in Wayne County, the county in the far northeast corner of the state. Within an hour of my house are the upper Delaware, The Beaverkill and Willowemoc in NY and the Lackawanna, and the Lackawaxen, as well as many other Pocono streams. I guess my home stream would be Dyberry Creek, only six or seven minutes from home. Honesdale is a great place to live if you like to fly fish, as long as you are retired, work as a teacher, a Lawyer, in a medical field, or you can get along on minimum wage. Most of the industry that was once here is now gone. I'm retired, and my wife is a hospital social worker, so even with three kids, three dogs and two cats, we are surviving.
    The fishing is great.

Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

I live in Marlin . It is 35 miles north of Reading. I fish White Deer, Clarks, The Schuylkill, Little Lehigh,Lehigh river,
    Saucon creek,Maiden creek, and about a half
    dozen smaller streams.
    This is a cool thread! We could do a Pa.
    meeting.

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

I live in SW PA - near Monroeville (suburb of Pittsburgh).

Home waters are in Ligonier.

Though I live near Bal'more, I'll put my vote in for the Centre county streams, more specifically, Penns Creek. It may be famous for the sulphurs and the green drakes but the mothers day grannom hatch is outstanding in its own right.
    Frank Reid

I'm from West Newton in Westmoreland County. I consider my home waters to be Dunbar Creek and Laural Hill Creek. A friend and I recently took a road trip and fished the Little J, Spruce Creek and Spring Creek and I loved them all. I also occasionally fish the Yough River, but that's generally limited to warmwater species - smallmouth bass, panfish. My favorite among them all is Dunbar Creek though.

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I live just outside of Pittsburgh. I guess my home waters would have to be Pine Creek as I can walk to it from the house. I also fish the other stocked streams around the city and travel to central PA to enjoy the streams mentioned above (Little J, Penns, Spring) as often as I can. Haven't had the good fortune to fish the other end of the state yet but if anyone is offering???

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

+ Reply to Thread