+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yellowstone Trip

Hybrid View

Default Yellowstone Trip

In 2010 I'm going to have the opportunity to fish in Yellowstone. I'm considering 2 dates. The first date is the 3rd week of July and the 2nd date is the 2nd week of September.Which week do you think would be best for fishing ?
    Uncle Ben, was my father a good fisherman? No Tommy, he was not. But no one loved it more.-Thomas McGuane

I'd go in September. The park is not as crowded.

Tim

My breakdown opinion...
    July
    • More Crowded
    • More locations likely available for fishing (great option if certain areas of the park are raining)
    • Warmer weather
    • Great Surface fly action with Terrestials

September
    • Less Crowded
    • Chance of Snow
    • Cheaper Hotel rates
    • Easier camping opportunities
    • Chance to fish spawning brookies in Firehole and other high water areas.
    • Chance to fish spawning Browns potentially.
    • More potential interactions with wildlife on back country rivers. (especially grizzlies)
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

2nd week in September is less crowded with tourists and hotel rates are cheaper, but there will still be a lot of anglers, and on some streams, like the Soda Butte, you probably won't notice much difference (used to be my favorite but way too many people now and the fish there really, really get hammered). By the 3rd week in July, streams on the western side of the park (Madison, Firehole, Gibbon) can be too warm to fish and folks move to other areas, particularly the NE end (Lamar, Slough Creek, Soda Butte) although I've seen the Lamar and Soda Butte still in late stages of runoff if snowpack was heavy and spring was cool; Slough Creek usually comes into shape before they do. I hit good hopper fishing over there last year and in 2008 in early August, pretty typical, but in 2007 because of poor snowpack,early warm spring and hot summer, the rivers were shut down by the end of July and 2006 wasn't much better. 2010 is supposed to be an El Nino year, and projections are for warmer/drier winter in the northern Rockies, which means things could be a little tough in September, hopefully not. Probably be cool enough at that point that closures/restrictions would have been lifted but water levels could be pretty low (there are options if the rivers in the park are closed or hours are restricted, but it also means open water will be more crowded - ask folks what it was like on the Madison outside the park in 2007, although you can find peace and quiet if you're willing to do a little searching).
    Whichever you choose, there will be something happening somewhere, the scenery and critters will be spectacular and you'll have a blast; check in with the flyshops (Blue Ribbon, Jacklins, etc) and they'll steer you in the right direction. Hope you have a great trip.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas L View Post
    In 2010 I'm going to have the opportunity to fish in Yellowstone. I'm considering 2 dates. The first date is the 3rd week of July and the 2nd date is the 2nd week of September.Which week do you think would be best for fishing ?
    During the summer and fall, I live on the Yellowstone River about 35 miles north of the Park, and fish practically every day.

Both of these times can be very good for fishing; which one is better depends on the type of fishing you prefer, and of course how good of a fisherman you are. I like both of these times a lot.

We're probably catching more fish on dry flies the 3rd week of July, and there are more hatches, while we're catching fewer, and maybe bigger fish on hoppers and streamers by the 2nd week of September.

Have you ever been to a college football game with 100,000 spectators? How about one with 80,000? Now, imagine yourself in Yellowstone in July with 100,000 rowdy fans, or in September with 80,000. Get the picture? You won't be alone whichever time you go.

John

Quote Originally Posted by John Rhoades View Post
    Have you ever been to a college football game with 100,000 spectators? How about one with 80,000? Now, imagine yourself in Yellowstone in July with 100,000 rowdy fans, or in September with 80,000. Get the picture? You won't be alone whichever time you go.

John

Im with ya John. Although the wife and I havent fished all that much in / near YNP...the crowds in september anymore arent all that much less anymore. FAR FEWER KIDS...but the "old people" like my wife and I come out of hiding in late August and early September.

No idea what the motels are like in the fall in West Yellowstone because we go by RV...but if you pull into the Grizzly RV park anytime after 4 PM that first 2 weeks and they have an open spot...leave immediately and go to "Vegas"...because luck is with you!!

With out question September is the better choice.

Cool My vote is for September too

Trav and I fished Soda Butte and the Le Mare with Tom Travis late Sept. We were the only people there. The fish were most co-operative, weather almost too warm, just terrific. There was traffic yes, but not people fishing. You might also consider fishing one of the Spring Creeks, either outside of Livingston or Belgrade Montana. Another unique fishing experience.

The week after Labor Day is my least favorite week to fish in the Park over the entire course of the season. Everybody who wants to fish without the crowds comes then. Anymore, the anglers don't really go away until the last week of the month, if not early October. If you can hike, you can get away from people, but the roadside streams will be as crowded as they are in July, with less water to go around.

The Yellowstone outside the park is generally much less crowded than the Park rivers by September, I suspect because more of the September anglers go without guides and thus there's less drifters out. We still stay quite busy. In fact, I ran more trips in September this year than July, though that was partially a result of more special request bookings.

The fishing is much more consistent in July than it is in September. Not saying it can't be good in September, but it's much more hit-or-miss. If you have good waters levels and have a cool, drizzly day with lots of Baetis, it's epic. If it's hot and bright and the water's low, it can be awful. The last couple years have kept the fishing good on the Yellowstone in early September, but given the snowpack outlook I suspect next year it may be tougher until later in the month when the light is flatter. Late July is usually at least decent. The only exceptions are years of extreme drought like 2007. If we have at least a 75% snowpack, the fishing typically stays consistent through July (2007 it was 50% followed by a hot, dry summer). I've been here since 2001 and 2007 was the only year the fishing wasn't still good in late July, though several years it was tough by the first week of August.

The trip planner at www.parksflyshop.com has tons of information on flies, where to fish, what to bring, etc. etc. www.parksflyshop.com/planner.htm

I'm going to be out there around July 16 - first time in years we've gone out that early; we're usually there around Aug 1 when the crowds really get crazy, and I'm excited. Caddis fishing should be great on the Madison, maybe some big stoneflies elsewhere, maybe hoppers.
    Normand - on Expedia Comfort Inn in W. Yellowstone was about $220 in July, $170 in September. Didn't say it was cheap, just cheaper.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 05:17 AM.

+ Reply to Thread