+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are the Super Lines Worth It???

Hybrid View

Default Are the Super Lines Worth It???

I didn't want to step on the post that asked whether the Sharkskin or the Ridge line was better so I started this post.

The assumption behind this question is that the questioner needs rather than wants one of these lines. I'm not sure that is true, so the question is why does anyone feel these lines do that is worth $100.00?

I've listened to a podcast by a member of the Sci Anglers pro staff as to why the Sharkskin was so great but I was not convinved that it was worth the cost.

To those of you that own these lines, WHY? What fishing situations are so technical that it requires a super line that cannot be fished with equal effectiveness with a $50.00 line? I'm sure there are a few so what are they?
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

They're obviously going to be of most use where distance is an important factor (bonefish, or any other quarry where you can't get in close) and you still want a floating line (otherwise, you're probably going to be using a shooting head.)

IMO, it would be insane to own one for the type of trout fishing that I do -- most casts under 30 feet.
    Bob

Post my 2?

I use all three ... Sharkskin, Ridge line and a whole assortment of "regular" lines.

IMHO, the "super lines" do shoot better ... even compared to a well maintained "regular" line. The jury is still out on which shoots better, the Shark skin or the ridge line.

Note though that for me, a light rod is a #5, so I really don't know what difference these lines would make on a #3 rod casting 45 feet.

Also, I usually cast on my home waters between 65 and 90 feet, so shooting line is an everyday cast.

Both do seem to float well too and I prefer not to use shooting heads. I mend often as well as roll and Spey cast.

Lastly, price: Up here, I can get Ridgelines for 59$ cnd and a Mastery series Steelhead taper is 64.94 cnd.

The sharkskins are 90$ cnd ... so for LESS, I get the Airflo product than I would for a "regular" line.
    Christopher Chin

I don't own any and don't intend to but if I were regularly fishing for steelhead in big rivers .....I would definitely have one...pretty much for the reasons Chris gave.

Folks seem to agree on the increase in distance...float-ability...durability and longevity.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    I didn't want to step on the post that asked whether the Sharkskin or the Ridge line was better so I started this post.

The assumption behind this question is that the questioner needs rather than wants one of these lines. I'm not sure that is true, so the question is why does anyone feel these lines do that is worth $100.00?

I've listened to a podcast by a member of the Sci Anglers pro staff as to why the Sharkskin was so great but I was not convinved that it was worth the cost.

To those of you that own these lines, WHY? What fishing situations are so technical that it requires a super line that cannot be fished with equal effectiveness with a $50.00 line? I'm sure there are a few so what are they?
    They arent worth that kind of $$$ to me. I dont need to cast out line till Im in the backing. Certainly here at home where the streams are 30-40 feet wide it would be a waste of $$. When the wife and I go west to fish with a guide...they can normally get you within 30 feet of fish....so there again its not needed.

Some , that dont NEED that sort of line, will buy the "latest and greatest" simply because it IS the latest and greatest. I prefer to buy them when they have been superseded by the "next" generation and the price has become "reasonable"..????? And then ONLY if I NEED said item

Default Sharkskin

You can get sharkskin in a 4w for $60 and yes, it's worth it. I am the most frugal fisherman you don't know and I will pay it. It mends easier than saying yes to grandma's apple pie and requires no effort to cast/roll. I actually got mine for $40 or I might not know that. If it lasts as long as they claim, I would gladly buy another one for retail next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Gigante View Post
    You can get sharkskin in a 4w for $60 and yes, it's worth it.
    Actually, the question was whether the line was worth $100.00 Of course, if you can get it at a discount that is a different question.

Where can you get it for $40? I'd jump at that also.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

8. Default

A silk line can cost $250.00 or more. However, that will last twenty years (I've fished forty year old lines for seasons and they were as good as new), so if you amoritize the expense over that time frame the lines are cheap.

OTOH, the modern plastic lines, we are told, should be replaced every few years because the plasticizers and floatants leach out and cannot be replaced. The Sharkskin and Rodge lines are the latest attempt at simulating the uneven texture of a silk line which is what permits silk to shoot better than PVC. (Silk also floats higher, cuts the wind better, and mends better.)

All that said, I like the Cortland "444" peach lines.

Cold Guest

The Sharkskin and Rodge lines are the latest attempt at simulating the uneven texture of a silk line which is what permits silk to shoot better than PVC.
    Also note: Ridge line is polyurethane, not PVC.

Quote Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
    A silk line can cost $250.00 or more. However, that will last twenty years (I've fished forty year old lines for seasons and they were as good as new), so if you amoritize the expense over that time frame the lines are cheap.

OTOH, the modern plastic lines, we are told, should be replaced every few years because the plasticizers and floatants leach out and cannot be replaced. The Sharkskin and Rodge lines are the latest attempt at simulating the uneven texture of a silk line which is what permits silk to shoot better than PVC. (Silk also floats higher, cuts the wind better, and mends better.)

All that said, I like the Cortland "444" peach lines.
    I have new in the box fly lines manufactured 20 years ago that when used perform as new and float high (Cortland, S.A AirCel Supreme 2). I have 15 year old used lines (light use -Cortland 444, S.A. Ultra) that have been cared for and performed as good as new when clean. I was told by reps from a couple line companies that old, unused, lines stored in cool, dark places should be good for many many years.

I have been recently using a Sharkskin shooting line. It shoots better than their standard floating shooting line, but the difference is maybe 10%. The rougher surface is easier to grip with wet hands, which I find more important than the extra distance gained. The shooting line is $60. Not convinced that I would pay for $100 for a full length line.

+ Reply to Thread