+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Look Out Montana Fisherman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Look Out Montana Fisherman!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reading a news story this morning about Ted Turner wanting to take some bison onto his land for 5 yrs' of their quarantine in exchange for keeping 90 percent of their offspring to offset his cost!!!!!

Can you see the sneaky here??? If he gets them and their in quarantine he could effectively get fishing cut-off around his ranch.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091203/...d_turner_bison

Keep a sharp eye folks!!!!!!

Fatman

I can't see the connection ?? Maybe you can be a bit more specific ??
    The fish are always right.

I think what he means is that if someone has quarantined animals on their property, that can make a case to deny all public access to their property to protect the wildlife. That would mean no public access to any of the water on Turner's land, which I'm guessing is currently available, based on what I read of Montana's access laws.

Cool Probably not...

Turner has been quite successful at keeping his land 'private' he doesn't need these buffs to help him. Actually he offered to take the buffs after being asked to submit a proposal by the Governor of Montana. It appears they are successfully raising buffs since they have 50,000 of them. That's a LOT of big animals. No wonder Jane left.

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    Turner has been quite successful at keeping his land 'private' he doesn't need these buffs to help him. Actually he offered to take the buffs after being asked to submit a proposal by the Governor of Montana. It appears they are successfully raising buffs since they have 50,000 of them. That's a LOT of big animals. No wonder Jane left.
    Pretty much what I was thinking - except the part about Jane.

Also, it strikes me that this is about Turner getting his hands on some buffalo with superior genetics to improve his existing herds, and the marketability of his burgers.

Can't see how this relates to fly fishing in any way.

John
    The fish are always right.

Yup. Ted Turner is one of "those" environmentalists. Watch your access to land carefully!!
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Only place I know of that you can get pure bison, is Wind Cave in South Dakota. All the other herds have cattle genes inbred. WC does have auctions of the rounded up bison each November.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

at the moment there is one, and only one, legal access point to turner's section of the Ruby riber. there is room, maybe, for one car. it's not a very good place to fish, in any case. turner's neighbors think the world of him because he takes care of local needs. the local guides go to other private and public water and everyone has a good time.

as we were told aout it, when he dies, the land will go to the state and then we can fish. right now he values his privacy. and those animals are some picturesque, let me tell you! tastey, too.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Betty Hiner View Post
    Only place I know of that you can get pure bison, is Wind Cave in South Dakota. All the other herds have cattle genes inbred. WC does have auctions of the rounded up bison each November.
    We have a couple or three up north here, my Dear...

In Nat Parks mind you, so not for sale. CFB Wainwright, does a cull every once in a while and the meat is cut and wrapped and sold to the troops.. very tasty and a good price, for the young families...
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

+ Reply to Thread