+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Line Question

Hybrid View

Default Fly Line Question

Can anyone give me a performance comparison bewteen the Airflo Ridge Line and the Sharkskin Line? I have interest in both but really don't like the $100 price tag of the latter.
    Thanks Ahead,
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Lotech,

I hope you do not mind, but, I want to tag along on this because I have wondered the same thing. Maybe someone "in the know" will respond.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Welcome aboard WarrenP. I've cast the sharkskin and really do like it. It was on a 7 1/2 foot 4 or 5 weight bamboo, and without trying, I found myself fishing the other side of the river. You can really lay out quite a bit of line. But.....$100
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Cold Guest

I use AirFlo Ridge Line on my 3 & 7wt setups and am pleased with it in both situations. Never used Sharkskin, so I can't compare, but I DO like the Ridge. While the 7wt line has been "babied" somewhat, the 3wt line really got the stuffing beat out of it over the past year, often spending hot summer days in the trunk of my car. Still performs great.

I also, have not used a sharkskin, but the ridgeline does cast extremely well and floats pretty good also!
    "They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it. What happens is that you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore." - John Gierach

Hi guys, I have not yet used the Sharkskin line but I have used the Ridge line on a Spey rod and it is very slick. It will shoot just about as much as you can hold without getting tangled.
    All the best.
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Lotech View Post
    Can anyone give me a performance comparison bewteen the Airflo Ridge Line and the Sharkskin Line? I have interest in both but really don't like the $100 price tag of the latter.
    Thanks Ahead,
    Try typing "Sale Fly Line" or "Clearance Fly Line" in the google search box and check out the hits you get. Other search combos will get you more sites.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...430&hasJS=true

As an example, the above site has Sharkskin @ $69.95. A couple of weeks ago they had it on sale with lighter weight lines.

Roy

+ Reply to Thread