+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Lower Illionois OK 11-25&29

Hybrid View

Default Lower Illionois OK 11-25&29

Well this is the first time I have posted. I live in Tulsa and my home water is the Lower Illinois outside of Gore Oklahoma. they had a break in generation last Wednesday and again on Sunday. the weather was better on Wednesday not quite as cold. I figured Some Softhackles and wooley Buggers that I tie would do the trick but action was quite slow on those. I did pick up 5-6 fish on softhackles on Wednesday.

Midges were the ticket and small. I don't have the "Trout Hunter" book by Harrop but I have tried to imitate some of his midges particularly the transitional midge. I picked up a few nice rainbows on that fly in size 22. the main ingredient in the fly is a tail of grizzly hackle tip to imitate a segmented shuck. I had tied up about 10 of these flys but I think mine were too chunky. Very small and very sparse and I think It will be one of my best producers. I've got to get that book to see how he does some of his other midges.

hey I love this site thanks for all the info.

Smile Greetings .....

..... 4wtMartin .... and welcome from SW Montana.

Nice way to introduce yourself. You can make a lot of friends around this place posting fishing reports, and joining in the discussions on the other Forums, also.

Enjoy your stay.

John
    The fish are always right.

Right on! Welcome! Interesting post. I'd be interested to see a pic of the midge fly you describe using the grizzly hackle tip.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

Welcome 4wtMartin. Nice post. I tend to read reports rather eagerly this time of year, most of my fishing for the next 5 months or so is going to be through the ice !

A big HOWDY from SoCal 4wtMartin. Welcome aboard to the best fly fishing site on the www. New guys make coffee and keep the fire going. I wouldn't worry though, you won't be new for long.
    Look forward to your posts and fishing reports. Jim
    I'm either going to, coming from or thinking about fishing. Jim

Welcome to FAOL from Tennessee!!

Sit back, prop your feet up and enjoy yourself! You are welcome here!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread