+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reel suggestion

You might also consider the Redington CD, which is also sold by Hook and Hackle and could be acquired at the same time as the rod.

The following link has a tidbit of info on the Redington vs Trion vs Orvis Mid Arbor. The poster is a fly shop owner in CA. [url=http://www.danblanton.com/viewarchive.php?id=51482&archivefile=/arch200508.php:c4b09]www.danblanton.com/viewarchive.php?id=51482&archivefile=/arch200508.php[/url:c4b09]

I am also a fan of the Teton Tioga reel and the new Cortland Endurance reel seems pretty impressive to and is in the stated price range.

I can't speak to those weights but I have two Battenkill II mid arbors in 3/4 weight and I absolutely love them. I would recommend them in a heartbeat. If you don't like clicking reels, though stay away. I personally love the click.

JeremyH

I bought Orvis Battenkill LA and also the mid arbour, and think that the mid is great value. The large arbour is a nice reel but I think that in terms of value for money that mid would be hard to beat, especially with the current special. And the click is fine...
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I bought an Orvis mid-arbor last summer and will be fishing that reel for years to come. The drag on that reel is incredible, you can feel comfortable fishing a 7X tippet and then switch to a log chain and stop a truck. I just don't think you can go wrong with that reel.

Thunderthumbs.

FYI, the battenkill mid arbor has a different drag than the bbs reel that has the current sale going on,get a spare spool free. The mid arbor 8-9 wt. sells out west for $130.00 and is a great reel.

So, Waterdog, what are the differences in the drags? Which one is better?

ameyers, the BBS drag is a off-set "rulon" disc drag. The mid-arbor is a center line drag with a composite surface designed to give the feel of a cork drag.

Each reel uses a different bar stock aluminum composition. The composition of the BBS aluminum is a bit lighter then the mid-arbors.

Both great reels. BBS is a little lighter then the mid-arbor, mid-arbor's drag is stronger and also has the advantages of a larger arbor which have been pointed out.

For the money you cannot go wrong with either reels. Rob

+ Reply to Thread