+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fish Pimp Strike Indicators

Default Fish Pimp Strike Indicators

I bought a few of these this past summer. The issue I have with them is that they do not stay on the leader. I followed the instructions on the package to the "T" and after several casts the indicator comes off the rubber tube. I contacted the company and they apologized and sent me some more.

For those that are using them if you have any suggestions on how to keep them from coming off I am all ears.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

The only advice for keeping them from coming off the line is to not put them on in the first place I used those for a couple of seasons but no matter how many times i twisted them on they eventually would find a way to eventually come off. I switched to using the small sized thingamabobbers and havent had any complaints since....

This may not be what your looking for, but several years ago I fished with Charlie Craven out of Denver. He showed me a very simple strike indicator that I have used ever since.

I bought a piece of macrame yarn (it's polypropylene) - and floats like a cork.

He taught me a simple knot to use on my leader that he has since put on his Web site.

Go to: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/

Look up Yarn Indicator Knot
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

I really like using thingamabobbers for my strike indicators. Easy to put one - and off!! I wouldn't think of using anything different.

JR

Quote Originally Posted by SonOfMartin View Post
    This may not be what your looking for, but several years ago I fished with Charlie Craven out of Denver. He showed me a very simple strike indicator that I have used ever since.

I bought a piece of macrame yarn (it's polypropylene) - and floats like a cork.

He taught me a simple knot to use on my leader that he has since put on his Web site.

Go to: http://www.charliesflyboxinc.com/flybox/

Look up Yarn Indicator Knot
    Gotta try that - I've used the knot alone to tie the indicator into, but not the method of tying it around the yarn - intriguing.

Bass_Bug Guest

I use the Lightening Strike Yarn type. A piece of poly yarn with 2 little (different size) 'O' rings. Bought at a buck a piece ($3.99 for a 4 pack) awhile back. But when I was looking at another pack, I thought like alot of tyers, "I can make these cheaper". Sure enough I had white and red poly yarn already. A trip to Home Depot got me a 10 pack of #60 O-rings (1/4"o.d, 1/8" i.d) and a 10 pack of #47 O-rings 11/32" o.d, 7/32" i.d. Each pack was $1.97 in the faucet repair section (O-rings way more expensive at Ace by the way). So I have 10 for $4 now. And when they start to get very worn, Just replace the Yarn.

thingamabobbers are the ticket. Not only do they stay on but they are light and don't affect my cast.

Normand Guest

thingamabobbers, a balloon or make your own

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/blog.php?b=258

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    I bought a few of these this past summer. The issue I have with them is that they do not stay on the leader.
    You and everybody else.

I go back and forth between the Thingamabobber and Micro-Balls. The advantage of the Micro-Balls is that the visible end of the rubber band that holds the leader in place is always tilted in the same plane as the angle of the leader between the indicator and the fly.

In effect, the rubber band lets you know where the fly is.

Like everybody else said, that's a very common problem with those. I've stopped using them and gone to Thingamabobbers primarily. So that you don't have to throw the Fish Pimps away, you can do what I did with the last few I had. After you lay the leader in the slot the first time, loop one end under the back of the indicator and back up and through the slot a second time. Then snap the rubber tube in place. You will have basically created a loop that will keep it in place. After you catch enough fish, the strain upon that loop will eventually cut through the indicator, but it takes longer than you might think. Won't last forever, but it will last a heck of lot longer than it would have taken for the dumb thing to fly off the leader if you hadn't done it!

+ Reply to Thread