+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Style Flies

Hybrid View

Default Clyde Style Flies

I have been meaning to ask for sometime now but just haven't done it. Does anyone tie and use Clyde Style Flies on US waters? I was fortunate enough to obtain a copy of John Reids book and found it quite interesting but it seems all of the activities of this fly are abroad. Hence my question.
    Steve

Default Here:

<h3 class="r">Tying a Clyde Style Fly Magpie & Silver with Davie McPhail<a href="javascript:void(0)" id="LXPLSS_398181951U1"> This is a UTube video on the method.
    Last edited by LadyFisher; 12-01-2009 at 11:18 PM. Reason: bad code

Hi Rookie,

Clyde style flies should work on US waters, and around the world. I've used them in New Zealand with success, and I think this past summer I caught a couple brookies on some flies tied in a similar way.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Thanks for the link LF. I am a big fan of Davy McPhail's tying videos.

Jeff, I agree. I can't see any reason they won't work elsewhere. Were you involved in the fly trade with someone awhile back to determine if flies from other geographical locations would work elsewhere? I may have my people mixed up, forgive me if I do.
    Steve

Rookie,

The Clyde style flies work well here. Tummels too, if you dress flies that sparse. Reids book is great. Sit down and tie a few then post up some pics.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thumbs up Clyde Style Flies

A few years back, Donald Nicholson, gave me the heads-up that John Reids classic, "Clyde Style Flies, and their dressings" was going to be reprinted, in its original format. The first edition was very limited (1000 copies) in 1971, and over time the few books that were hitting the auction market, were fetching over a $1000.

Now you can have your own 2nd edition, for about $40, and that would be the best $40 you ever spent.

This book was even included in Sylvester Nemes latest book "Two Centruies of Soft Hackled Flies, a survey of the literature complete with original patterns 1747 - present.

I have that one also!

~Parnelli

"Everyone we meet in life give us happiness! Either by their arrival, or by their departure!"

Wink Puddles

Quote Originally Posted by rookie View Post
    Thanks for the link LF. I am a big fan of Davy McPhail's tying videos.

Jeff, I agree. I can't see any reason they won't work elsewhere. Were you involved in the fly trade with someone awhile back to determine if flies from other geographical locations would work elsewhere? I may have my people mixed up, forgive me if I do.
    Rookie -

Here's a link to a thread from last year on our international collaboration.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...ad.php?t=23830

John

P.S. SE Idaho surely has some fine puddles.
    The fish are always right.

Smile

After viewing several of Davie McPhail's U-Tube videos I would like to know if his videos have been compiled into a DVD. Besides being an excellent tier he shows many novel techniques that are new to me. Any Advice?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyFisher View Post
    <h3 class="r">Tying a Clyde Style Fly Magpie & Silver with Davie McPhail<a href="javascript:void(0)" id="LXPLSS_398181951U1"> This is a UTube video on the method.
    Deanna,

Davie does a great job tying the pattern, as we have come to expect, but I have to say I am a little puzzled what makes this particular pattern a "Clyde style" wet fly. For me it is like any other slip wing wet.

You, or anyone else on the thread, have an idea?

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Normand Guest

heres a nice sampling of clyde style fies

http://www.danica.com/flytier/agoodwin/agoodwin.htm

+ Reply to Thread