+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A year+ with a Native Ultimate

Default A year+ with a Native Ultimate

I've had the 12 foot Ultimate over a year now and thought I'd give some input.

I've fished ponds and lakes and a few streams in Arkansas with it.

It handles lakes and ponds just fine. It will handle about a Class 2 stream without much problem. You have to watch water coming over the bow and a middle skirt will help that a lot. I just have the bow skirt and got a fair amount of water over the bow in a rapid section last time out. No big deal but could be a big concern in real rough water.

It paddles well but on long sections can be a bit laborious. Nothing horrible, mind you but it isn't for long ventures in calm water. Well, not for me that is.

You can pack a good bit of stuff in there with you and get to most all of it just by reaching.

It is extremely stable(for a kayak). YOu can lean side to side without any fear of tipping.

Fishing from it is pretty easy but could stand to be a bit higher in the seat. You can easily make a seat riser to make this better and make comfort better for long paddle sections of water.

Taking the seat out and putting the seat in is a no-brainer. Very easy. The seat does make a nice chair if you wish to sit on the shore with it.

I haven't stood much in it but I've seen a lot of videos of this done. Seems pretty easy.

One thing to do for sure is to get a good rod holder/ strap system of some kind. Yup I've lost a rod already. Still pretty sick about it.

Get and USE a personal flotation device. I've not had any reason for it but I wear it. Even found myself wade fishing with it on after forgetting to take it off . I about had to rescue someone without it and glad I didn't have to.

This is a GREAT tool for reaching places others cannot........even from a boat. It's great for stream fishing for the same reason. You can reach spots wade fishermen cannot. You can paddle up some fairly quick-moving water too.

Any questions? Let it fly.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Thanks BBW.
    I have wanted a U12 for some time now but have held off because of some concerns that I really cant seem to get an answer for.
    I fish moving water, rivers. Everyone I have talked with mostly fishes these boats in calm water situations. I have concerns about how well this boat will handle class 1 & 2 rapids. I also fish some rivers with lots of rock gardens and at times the water can get shallow with channels in and around the boulder fields. I test-paddled a U12 back in the summer on a smaller, calm lake and I have no doubt the U12 is nimble enough to navigate these channels. With a little lean and an aggressive stroke with the paddle, the boat turned much better that I expected.
    I realize most folks call these boats a kayak "hybrid" but to me, they are more of a canoe than a kayak, just with a few kayak-influenced features. The low gunwales concerns me as this boat is not self-bailing and I can see myself getting swamped in a rapid in one. I have some prized rods that I would cry over if I dumped the boat and lost them.
    How well do you feel this boat will handle rivers with some mild class 1 and 2 rapids?

Thanks in advance!
    Mark 1:17

Class 1 is no problem at all. Class 2 takes 'due diligence' on your part. It will handle some pretty rough stuff but...........

If you are familiar with any of these rivers I had no problem with them at all:

Arkansas:
    -Little Red river from the dam to swinging bridge.
    -All of Norfork river.
    -Spring river from dam 3 to Riverside Resort
    Tennessee:
    -Caney Fork from Kirby to the Congo and back with 2 generators running.

I'd say it's downfalls are:
    -water over the bow without a middle skirt on.
    -high-angle lean overs
    Water can enter the craft in those situations.

It is VERY stable in straight line rough stuff.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Default Year + also with an Ultimate 12

I've had mine for over a year and love it. You fellas' are right about a bow skirt; it would be a big help in moving water. I've taken a little water in Class II but not unmanageable. I leash all of my rods. Losing any of them would kill me and probably get me killed by the better half if I suddenly reported that I needed to replace them because I didn't secure them. You know the tune.

On flat water an Ultimate is a nice fishing vehicle and on rivers it tracks well. All in all, a pretty well-designed item.

BBW, have you been on the Buffalo?

Craig in windy Kansas

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bad Wulff View Post
    I've had the 12 foot Ultimate over a year now and thought I'd give some input.

I've fished ponds and lakes and a few streams in Arkansas with it.

It handles lakes and ponds just fine. It will handle about a Class 2 stream without much problem. You have to watch water coming over the bow and a middle skirt will help that a lot. I just have the bow skirt and got a fair amount of water over the bow in a rapid section last time out. No big deal but could be a big concern in real rough water.

It paddles well but on long sections can be a bit laborious. Nothing horrible, mind you but it isn't for long ventures in calm water. Well, not for me that is.

You can pack a good bit of stuff in there with you and get to most all of it just by reaching.

It is extremely stable(for a kayak). YOu can lean side to side without any fear of tipping.

Fishing from it is pretty easy but could stand to be a bit higher in the seat. You can easily make a seat riser to make this better and make comfort better for long paddle sections of water.

Taking the seat out and putting the seat in is a no-brainer. Very easy. The seat does make a nice chair if you wish to sit on the shore with it.

I haven't stood much in it but I've seen a lot of videos of this done. Seems pretty easy.

One thing to do for sure is to get a good rod holder/ strap system of some kind. Yup I've lost a rod already. Still pretty sick about it.

Get and USE a personal flotation device. I've not had any reason for it but I wear it. Even found myself wade fishing with it on after forgetting to take it off . I about had to rescue someone without it and glad I didn't have to.

This is a GREAT tool for reaching places others cannot........even from a boat. It's great for stream fishing for the same reason. You can reach spots wade fishermen cannot. You can paddle up some fairly quick-moving water too.

Any questions? Let it fly.
    I purchased the seat riser and it's great. I highly recommend it.

I stand in my 14.5 most of the time. Really helps when fly fishing.

Glad you like your Ultimate. I've fished out of a lot of different kayaks, but the Ulti is the best ... by far.
    Steve

cleep,

Welcome aboard!!
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread