I am a strong supporter, of the use of terrestrial fly patterns. Different categories of fly patterns go in and out of fashion over time.

I found me a paperback copy of "Trout and Terrestrials" by Lou Stevens, in a half price book store. I is 108 pages of very wonderful writing and diagrams of the various insects as well as photos and how to dress them.

I have found the book to be very helpful, when I am attempting to dress a terrestrial pattern for catching fish.

The first Fly of the Week article back on September 1st, 1997, was " Steeves' Firefly" by Harrison R. Steeves from his book "Terrestrials: A Modern Approach to Fishing and Tying with Synthetic and
Natural Materials"by Harrison R. Steeves III and Ed Koch. Published by Stackpole Books.

Side Note: Jack Gartside's site has a wonderful article and instructions for Jack Gartside's "Wet Mouse" pattern, which uses the aftershaft's, from the bird cape, that most tiers toss away, not knowing how effective they are when dressed on a hook and fished. Mice are terrestrials too!

My Beginner's Only Swap members, will be doing a terrestrial fly pattern for the last of five fly swaps in April.

So if you do not have terrestrial fly patterns in you fly box, this winter is a great time to correct the situation.

~Parnelli