+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 31 DAYS, NO 30 ? WELL, WHATEVER, CHRISTMAS IS COMING - Ladyfisher - November 30, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default 31 DAYS, NO 30 ? WELL, WHATEVER, CHRISTMAS IS COMING - Ladyfisher - November 30, 2009

31 DAYS, NO 30 - WELL, WHATEVER, CHRISTMAS IS COMING

Ever wonder how many turkeys it takes to provide Thanksgiving dinner for those who didn?t opt for ham or prime rib? I?ll bet the number is staggering. Yes. Of course I know it is tradition, but honestly I?m not all that fond of turkey. (I don?t eat trout either, much prefer lamb chops.) My preference would be salt-packed prime rib. We have a local restaurant which does it, but it can be done at home. I think it is called Salt-Crusted (or encrusted?) prime rib, if you wish to ?Google? one up.*

I agree LF, Lamb is great, had a lamb roast for thanksgiving at Char's in El Paso Wed. as the wife and I flew home on Thursday.

Christmas is usually either a lamb roast or a prime rib or both depending on how many are coming over. The gas barbeque makes a great convection oven, just preheat, turn off one half, put meat in pan on the off half and presto.
    Wyo-Blizzard

Hey Deanna,

I like Turkey and all the fixins and maybe turkey left overs the next day. After that it's turkey overload. With just the two of us, a turkey is just too much. We found that out this year with a 10 pound bird. We hadn't done Thanksgiving since Grandpa Noah crossed over.

Your gift ideas are terrific, but your preaching to the choir. Us flyflingers know what to get someone else...something we'd like to have. That's how I buy VEE's gifts. If I want it, It's a sure bet she'll love it.

Our members need to take your article, print it out and leave it in several places where loved ones and co-workers are sure to find it. Maybe make some pencil notes in the margins about what books they've been wanting to buy, or what reel makes the eyes light up. That kind of thing. If our loved ones and coworkers are even halfway observant, chances are we flyflingers could be on the recieving end of some great gifts this year.

Anyone need a sweatshirt with the "Way to a fisherman's heart is through his fly" saying on it. I was given one a couple years ago by a well meaning friend. No takers...it's in the morning trash.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

With only the 2 of us here, we skipped the traditional Thanksgiving dinner this year and just made the appetizers and dessert. Watched the parade and football games all day, and it worked out great.

A stocking stuffer I'm a big fan of is the Monomaster from Grasshopper Outdoors. You can hang it from your vest, pack, bag, belt, etc. and stick all your waste tippet material in there. They're about $10. It's a nice little gift that's good for the fisherman and the planet.

Happy Holidays to all.

LF

It is refreshing to hear someone recommend a fly rod and reel combo as a starter outfit. I can think of nothing that can discourage a new comer to this sport more than being told they need to spend allot of $$$$ to get started. St Croix a sponsor also has some nice combos. Even though I own more expensive rods and reels, I still fish a St Croix 8' 5wt Pro Graphite combo that was a Christmas gift from my wife some years ago. And your right about the fly tying kits. Most that I've seen are junk.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default First Fly Rod Sets.

St. Croix, Cortland, Albright, Redington....they all have starter fly rod sets (some include reel, line, and tube for the fly rod) at very reasonable prices.
    I might add that all the above are companies you can trust for service, if something happens to you fly rod.

I still have my Cortland "CL series" that I bought when I started fly fishing in 1995, and I still fish with it.

~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread