+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: polarized Amber lenses?

Amber is definitely the go, just fantastic where the light conditions are low too. I tend to use grey out in the boat when it is really hot and bright, but definitely amber photochromatic polorised the rest of the time. I belileve too that better quality glasses are worth the expense. I wear Mako and Spotters but don't know if you guys have them in US.

------------------
    We do not inherit the earth - we borrow it from our children.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Don't know much about amber lenses, but am very familiar with amber nectar (Miller Genuine Draft is an example). Very soothing to the eyes (and the rest of the body) after a long day fishing.

Paul

If you wear a baseball type cap while fishing check out [url=http://www.brimz.net/Home.html:27e25]Brimz[/url:27e25]. They are flip up sunglasses that clip onto the bill of your cap and flip up or down as needed. They have no earpieces so they are cool and comfortable and they will fit over your regular eyeglasses.

I have always used flip-up glasses for fishing because when the light varies in the heavily covered streams I mostly fish; I can flip up the glasses as needed. I have been using Brimz for about three years now and they are terrific, well made and holding up great!

They do make an amber version for hunting but they are not polarized. I use the brown and they seem to work well for me in most situations.

bw,
    Dunno about inexpensive but I had a wonderful set of amber tinted bifocals made in my docs. office. Your vision onstream is of utmost importance and I wanted to get a tint that I found in some $60 glasses to be matched.

They did a fabulous job but it wasn't cheap. These prescription glasses are super clear. I'd do it again!!

edit...I forgot to include a very important point. Get glasses with the moveable/replaceable nose pieces.

Not that you need to replace them as much as they will allow your glasses more space on your face than the molded-in-one piece frames. Think air circulation.

When the weather gets warm and humid you'll find they won't fog up nearly as much as the one piece frames will! Really!

Jeremy.

[This message has been edited by Jeremy (edited 20 January 2006).]

I've always been an amber wearer...in all lights ....but lately have switched to Native sunglasses...which have sort of amber pinkish lenses...[they offer 4 interchangeable lens]....I don't remember what they call it but I find them great ....seem to really sharpen things up...Im not sure though that I see any better subsurface then other polarized glasses I have..they are polarized....but the claim to fame is an incredible guarantee.

I carry green,gray,yellow and amber made to my prescription. J. Castwell is correct,amber for bonefish-sometimes the gray is best. I also like the gray for salmon fishing.
    By the way J.C. we fish the same areas in South Andros and know some of the same guides. I've fished out of Tiamo in the past.
    Bruce

I have, over the years, used just about every color lense that is out there. Amber has turned out to be my favorite. I currently own a pair of Oakley polarized glasses with amber lenses and they have allowed me to see fish that I couldn't see with other cheaper amber lensed glasses when I held them one on top of the other just to see if what I'd paid for them was worth it. It was. I also have a pair of Action Optics (about $60) for a back up pair, and they work just as well for less than half the price. I said all that so I could say this; optics are like fishing reels, get the absolute best you can afford because they will make a huge difference, and in the long run what's paying an extra $40.00.
    And just in case you're interested, try a light rose color lense. They really bring out colors underwater very well, especially in clearer waters.

Good fishing,

Thunderthumbs.

...these are certainly on the lower budget side...i picked them up as a back up but have found i really like them...if only for the adjustable frame which for me is a lifesaver...my ears aren't aligned, so all my sun glasses slant and it makes me nuts...
    [url=http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=90PP&feature_id=&dir_id=8 85&group_id=786&cat_id=5988&subcat_id=7345&shop_id =:39d88]http://www.orvis.com/store/product_choice.asp?pf_id=90PP&feature_id=&dir_id=8 85&group_id=786&cat_id=5988&subcat_id=7345&shop_id =[/url:39d88]
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

have action optics amber & brown love both for diff. conditions-amb.-dark das.-br.-lighter das.-buy at sierra for 29.95 a pc.

------------------
    bob faorite past-times winter steelie fishing-fall bow-hunting-would write more but with my typing i would be here for wks.??

+ Reply to Thread