+ Reply to Thread

Thread: mylar tubing?

Question mylar tubing?

I was just looking at bugman's mickey finn thread and I got to wondering about a supply of mylar tubing? I did a google search and found all kinds of suppliers, but I was wondering if there as another source to get it without ordering from a fly shop. I don't mind ordering from a fly shop, but there isn't a fly shop around here close, and I was wondering if I could find a good readily available supply. Something like cutting off the end of a bungee cord, there are more little round "legs" in there than I'll ever use tying. Is there a source for mylar tubing similar to this or do I just need to order some?

thanks in advance,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

Normand Guest

the mylar piping i buy doesnt have rubber bunjee cords inside. the have twisted twine or zlontype material cores.

however, i would buy it from a fly shop because some of it is filled with a zlon type of material, making it a multi function. you can also unravel the piping and use it for tinsel.

any of the vendor supporters of this site are a "readily available supplier" and could use your support.
    Last edited by Normand; 11-29-2009 at 09:33 PM.

Normand,

I'm sorry Normand, I didn't make myself clear. I take a bungee cord and cut the end off for "legs" and I was thinking I had read somewhere that mylar tubing was used for something other than flies? I was thinking if they were used for something else then I might could find some around here. Like a hardware store or something like that. But if they are only used for flies, I will of course order some and wait a couple of days. I guess I'm just impatient, but rest assured, I try to order from our sponsors. (I've got a new fly rod on the way from albright right now) I'm proud to help them when I can, because I really enjoy and I'm proud to be a small part of this site. I'm sorry for the confusion.

thanks,
    hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

HungnTree,

I find my mylar tubing at craft and fabric shops. The JoAnnes near me has it in sizes from about 1/8 inch diameter up to about 3/8 inch. I can get gold, silver, and they have some pearl in the smaller sizes. I've also found a gold that has some irredescent glitter like accents that flash in green and red.

Look in two places...the 'rolls' or 'bolts' of accent trim (usually a whole isle near the fabric by the yard counter) and in the 'plastic canvas' section.

I've also been playing with hollow braided nylon rope..basically 'parachute cord'. I've found a couple of sizes of this at Camping type stores...the inside is full of a white sparkly poly yarn (sort of like the Zlon that was around for while) that I have several uses for (parachute posts, caddis wings, shucks, dry fly wings, streamer winging material...lots of uses for what is basically a by product of the rope). The white braided exterior makes great bodies...you can color it with permanent markers. It makes very durable flies.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Bass_Bug Guest

Like Buddy says, look at craft/sewing stores. Mylar tubing with the core was made for the fabric industry. Mylar tuning is another tying material the fly tying industry saw the potential for and has now repackaged in smaller quantities for fly shops. There are not too many tying materials in a fly shop that were made/invented for tying first. What you need to do is start looking at EVERYTHING for it's tying potential, and you'll find 'mini fly shops' in all kinds of stores.

+ Reply to Thread