Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
A glue joint should be AS THIN as possible so that shear stresses cant work on it
I have had the distinct pleasure of knowing Ralph O'Quinn (the developer/owner of Trondak/U40 products - LS Supreme, Rod Bond, Ferrule Lube, etc.) for quite some time. His background is simple ... aerospace adhesives engineer for Boeing.

Ralph is well into his 80's at this point and he was the primary developer for many of the adhesives in use in aviation today. I figure if his adhesive products hold together a 747 jumbo jet at 35,000 feet moving at 567mph ... his knowledge far surpasses mine.

During almost every presentation he gives, he will tell folks one thing AT LEAST several times ... "the thinnest glue line, is the strongest glue line - glue doesn't work sticking to itself".

The best arboring system is one with MINIMAL space for adhesives. Polyurethane arbors and graphite foam arbors are many times stronger than needed.

While I don't pretend to know everything, I am 100% positive that masking tape is the last thing that I would use, or recommend to be used, to secure a reel seat.

Jim -