+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epoxy Question

Default Epoxy Question

Is 2-part epoxy all the same? I needed epoxy for my next build. I use it for attaching the reel seat and handle, and I found 2-part, 30-minute epoxy in a model store. Is it the same as epoxy sold on rod building sites or do I need to buy epoxy designed just for rod building?
    Bruce

I got some "rod bond" because I thought I might be taking my reel seat back off and changing it - it's very easy to use and doesn't set up for a long time. However, I had used Devcon 2 ton for a long time before that and only had one failure.

Quote Originally Posted by lastchance View Post
    Is 2-part epoxy all the same? I needed epoxy for my next build. I use it for attaching the reel seat and handle, and I found 2-part, 30-minute epoxy in a model store. Is it the same as epoxy sold on rod building sites or do I need to buy epoxy designed just for rod building?
    Bruce
    Pick up some U40 RodBond....you will never regret it!

Bruce,
    I'll second the U-40 Rod Bond! No more hyperventilating while trying to seat the grip and reel seat (to get a perfect alignment before it sets up)!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Yep ... U40 Rod Bond, the regular kind not the quick set. Best stuff since sliced bread. I can't express just how tough the stuff is AND it is removable, if needed.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I got some "rod bond" because I thought I might be taking my reel seat back off and changing it - it's very easy to use and doesn't set up for a long time. However, I had used Devcon 2 ton for a long time before that and only had one failure.
    Aint no way! If you got it glued on "right" with the U40 stuff....you aint changing it! It aint about to come off.

Let me jump in here for the U-40 rod bond as well. You can't go wrong with it. I even use it to repair things around the house and they hold for ever. If you plan on changing the reel seat out anytime soon don't use rod bond, it hold like crazy and like betty said you have time to work with it.

So, if I thought I might want to change the reel seat sometime in the future, are there any suggestions for what to use?

Besides a Dremel tool??
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    So, if I thought I might want to change the reel seat sometime in the future, are there any suggestions for what to use?
    As Betty suggested. Use a Dremel tool and cut a "slot" lengthwise in the wooden seat. Insert the LARGE blade of a screwdriver down into it and then TWIST. It will break right open

+ Reply to Thread