+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2 part epoxy

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default 2 part epoxy

whats your favorite?

easiest to use/measure?

the loctite crap i'm using is just that!

this is for fly tying not rod building.

cheers

I would never buy an epoxy that comes in the double syringe again..

3. Default

i use devcon 2 ton epoxy and it works very well, it goes on as clear as crystal and dries very hard. if your having trouble with proper measurments on the two syriange system just saw through the middle and viola you have two seperate compartments
    -tyler-

Thumbs up

What are your specific problems? I find Devcon 5 Minute brand very versitile. The proportions are not critical and I can even lower the viscosity of the by adding a little lacquer thinner to the mix. In addition, I really like to take advantage of its characteristic of wicking its way into material to form a deep solid bond and of smoothing over rough surfaces on streamer heads. Yet another neat feature, not my idea, is to lash down thin plastic eyes onto streamer heads with fine monofilament and then covering them with epoxy. The monofilament wraps will then become invisable.
    You can even make opaque colored mixes by adding non-waxy powdered artists pastel chalks that don't chemically react with the epoxy.
    From my experience, I don't buy anything but the smallest size tubes because I seem to always make sticky messes when storing the the stuff between uses.
    The only negative for me is the yellowing over time.

Bass_Bug Guest

I use what ever brand I can find in the 5,15 and 30 min. Loctite and Devcon are the most common.

I use it to glue popper bodies to hooks, and to coat heads/eyes on patterns as needed.

I've only ever used the double syringe type and have found that you just have to be VERY careful when pushing the plunger. you can vary the amount on either side by pushing more on one side or the other on the plunger as needed.

Also after you squeeze out what you need, pull the plunger BACK OUT a bit and it will relieve the pressure inside the syringe and keep it from leaking before you can put the cap on it. Just like using a caulking gun.

For 5 min, I keep a pad of 3x3 post-it notes and a jar of tooth picks on my tying desk. If you need to mix up more than will fit on the post-it note, you probably need longer than 5 min epoxy.

Oh, and keep a bottle of regular nail-polish remover (acetone) on hand when working with epoxy for easy clean up.
    Last edited by Bass_Bug; 11-27-2009 at 03:43 PM.

I like the bubble packs of " Hardman" 5min epoxy. You just have to realize that realistically you only have about 3 mins. of actual working time. One pack is enough for 3 or 4 flies if you prep everything right & there is no waste,

It's important to mix it very well.

Thorarinn

Katy, Texas (Houston is our biggest suburb!)
    Blog Entries

I prefer the Devcon 2 Ton or 30 minute because of it's long working time. I use it primarily to put a hard coat on my balsa bodied poppers, but also for heads on my streamer flies. I either use my "micrometer" eye or disposable syringes to measure it with. When putting it on my popping bugs I thin it with rubbing alcohol after it is mixed, up to 50:50 epoxy/alcohol mix. This thins it to the point that I can paint it on with a disposable brush. You can add glitter to it for some "sparkle" on the bugs, and you can color it with Testor's model paint. You can also use the alcohol for cleanup. In fact, you can use almost any low molecular weight alcohol for these purposes.

aged_sage

Normand Guest

part 2

whats your favorite?

easiest to use/measure?

the loctite crap i'm using is just that!

this is for fly tying not rod building.

cheers

Bass_Bug Guest

I don't see how measuring 2 separate containers is easier than a double syringe. With the syringe I can see and adjust the 2 parts at the same time and know I have the same amount.

I prefer the syringe type.

+ Reply to Thread