+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It Still Ain't Over

Hybrid View

Default It Still Ain't Over

Today I went down to a favorite little municipal lake to try for some crappie & stocker trout. The weather was miserable with the wind blowing so hard casting was a horrid affair. The good news is a crappie pattern is still holding together and a few perch decided to move close enough to shore that I could catch them.
    I'm hoping to stay on the fish until ice makes fly fishing impossible.

Nice to see another fellow hawkeye here I'm about 45mins N of you locale.

there hasn't been much action around here lately. There a group of ponds down the road from me but not much going one. Once that winds picks up I'm pretty much done for.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

Fish are still biting here as well.

I tried for stocker trout here in the central part of the state on Tuesday afternoon...Got there late and missed the post-stocking "frenzy". Only got looks and follows on flies. Switched to spinning gear and caught 2 rainbows.

Sunday afternoon I fly-fished for about an hour. I used a #10 Clouser, tied with white craft fur with some red krystal flash on the back. This worked well, and I landed 15 bluegills and 3 hybrid sunfish. Water temps are gonna plummet this week. In fact, there is ice on my back porch right now!
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

mickalo the Siouxland Fly Fishing club is holding a meeting this Saturday. Why don't you drop by if you can. Our web site is at http://www.siouxlandflyfishing.com/index.htm

FishnDave a small clouser has been my top producer for crappies for a while now. But the colors I've been using are white craft fur for the bottom but blue hair of unknown pedigree for the top. The perch came on float & fly rig with a hare's ear fished as a dropper behind a larger clouser. The perch took the hare's ear.
    As for the stocker rainbows I've only caught one on a charturse & white micro jig fished below a strike indicator. Me and a couple of fly fishing buddies plan on giving it another try on Sunday.

Quote Originally Posted by cycler68 View Post
    mickalo the Siouxland Fly Fishing club is holding a meeting this Saturday. Why don't you drop by if you can. Our web site is at http://www.siouxlandflyfishing.com/index.htm
    Hey that's great. I didn't even know there was a fly fishing club in our area. I will most definitely check out the web site. Up in my neck of the woods I think I've seen maybe 6 fly fisherman in the past 2 yrs I've been fly fishing here. Nice to know that there is a club in the area now. Can't make this Saturday but will plan on getting down there maybe for the next meet.

Thanks
    Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

7. Default

Was up in Iowa the 15th & 16th. There's some good lookin' places that I saw (Manchester & Swiss Valley) but it was cold & I wasn't feeling well so I only fished 'em a little. If the fish in those places are indicitav of how wary the stockers are, a fisher has their work cut out for them. I plan to be back.

+ Reply to Thread