+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

Default How do you celebrate Thanksgiving?

How many out there celebrate a 'traditional' "Norman Rockwell" Thanksgiving?

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/a...1&d=1259189387

Or do you do something different? What are some memorable and fun traditions you have as a family?
    When I was a kid my grandpa, dad and uncles all went out pheasant hunting while the meal was being prepared by the ladies back at home.
    What are some of your favorite dishes?

Just wondering...

Hope you all have a blessed holiday and give thanks for what matters most.

Kelly.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Default Thanksgiving Tradition

Kelly,

It's a tradition in my family that my one remaining brother and my nephews
    that play the game, get together for a round of golf early in the day. It's about the only round I'll play in a year anymore. Fishing for trout now rules the day!

We then gather at my 93 year old Dad's for turkey and ham and all the traditional southern trimmings. I love homemade cornmeal turkey dressing,
    scratch-made mac and cheese, green bean casserole, my sister's wonderful cranberry salad, excellent deviled eggs, my favorite sweet potato casserole, and that wonderful turkey gravy, washed down with the best homemade iced tea I've ever drunk! There are other dishes but the aforementioned are my favorites!

We then retire to cuss at and root against the Cowboys!
    Sorry Cowboy fans!

It is my favorite Holiday!

bobbyg
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Kelly

We do the traditional turkey day. I'm staying home and eating with the inlaws. My moms going to my uncles.

We are having a ton of food for 5 people. Ham, turkey, mashed potatoes, my home made corn bread stuffing, yams, corn, peas, and 4 kinds of pies. First year with out lasagna . I guess it's enough for 5 people, 17 pounds between the ham and turkey.

I'll watch the games and tie some flies. I'll be in my fleece pants all day unless it get hot in here and then I'll put on shorts.

We never went for the whole dressed up thing. But thats just us.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Jeremy (TB)

Blog Entries

Only to keep my mother happy. Given my druthers, I would go duck hunting or fishing and leave the turkey to those who put more stock in ritual.

Going elk hunting in the morning. Then to one of my brothers homes for turkey and a smoked elk backstrap with all the usuall fixins. Pumpkin and peach pies for after.

Rocky

This year the wife and I are going to spend the day assisting with serving Thanksgiving dinner to the needy and elderly and delivering food to others.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP View Post
    This year the wife and I are going to spend the day assisting with serving Thanksgiving dinner to the needy and elderly and delivering food to others.
    Warren,
    Good for you & Deb, although it doesn't surprise me.

As for us, we always head down to Columbus to our niece & nephew's. Family comes from Ohio, Virginia, & DC. I take peanut butter fudge, Niece, Colleen & her Sister Katie roast a large turkey & I deep fry one. We call the deep fried one the "kitchen turkey" because LITTLE of it makes it as far as the dining room table. It's eaten as soon as it's carved.
    I hope EVERYONE has a Happy & Blessed Thanksgiving.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Duck hunt in the morning with my dad, then off to my grandparents' house for turkey dinner. Generally we do a more or less traditional meal, but we've done a big German Mennonite meal before (verenike, fried potatoes, german sausage, ham, cream gravy...). I offered to do a fish fry/ grill goose this year, but they didn't go for it.

Default Thanksgiving

This year my wife and I are traveling to my sister's to celebrate with her grown children and families and with my mother, Turkey and all the trimmings
    pumkin pie,apple pie, games and visiting,and normally some archery deer hunting, this year I will hunt the week following the the holiday.Also my wife will be taking family pictures for my sister and her family... that are all home only a few times a year together.
    Flyfisher121

My family do things really early for everything except New Years so i already celebrated my birthday/Christmas/Thanks Giving/Vet. day all 2 weeks ago .. We had Korean style roasted turkey (it was nasty...) some BBQ, which made up for the nasty turkey AND for 15+ people..., gave thanks, watched Titanic (random), gave out and received MANY gifts, hugs and kisses (PLEASE STOP GRANDMA! AUNTIEs!) All in all, it was a fun day

Thanks to my early gifts, mostly mainly THANKFULLY in cash!!! , i now can get better functioning vice that i NEEDED for a while now!

HAPPY HOLIDAYS

+ Reply to Thread