+ Reply to Thread

Thread: metaphors

Hybrid View

Normand Guest

Default metaphors

She grew on him like she was a colony of E.Coli, and he was room-temperature Canadian beef.

Her vocabulary was as bad as, like, whatever.

He was as tall as a six-foot, three-inch tree.

The revelation that his marriage of 30 years had disintegrated because of his wife?s infidelity came as a rude shock, like a surcharge at a formerly surcharge-free ATM machine.

The little boat gently drifted across the pond exactly the way a bowling ball wouldn?t.

From the attic came an unearthly howl. The whole scene had an eerie, surreal quality, like when you?re on vacation in another city and Jeopardy comes on at 7:00 p.m. instead of 7:30.

Long separated by cruel fate, the star-crossed lovers raced across the grassy field toward each other like two freight trains, one having left Cleveland at 6:36 p.m. traveling at 55 mph, the other from Topeka at 4:19 p.m. at a speed of 35 mph.

They lived in a typical suburban neighborhood with picket fences that resembled Nancy Kerrigan?s teeth.

John and Mary had never met. They were like two hummingbirds who had also never met.

He fell for her like his heart was a mob informant, and she was the East River.

Even in his last years, Granddad had a mind like a steel trap, only one that had been left out so long, it had rusted shut.

Shots rang out, as shots are wont to do.

The plan was simple, like my brother-in-law Phil. But unlike Phil, this plan just might work.

The young fighter had a hungry look, the kind you get from not eating for a while.

He was deeply in love. When she spoke, he thought he heard bells, as if she were a garbage truck backing up.

Nice post. Thnaks for the laughs.
    Thanks Old Man GO IRISH!

Talking My opinion is like yours only different.

I read those with great interest like that from a credit union but not like that from an insolvent bank.
    These were different from others I have not read.
    I chuckled softly like the sound of a brook tumbling over stones but without the water coming out of my mouth.

That was as funny as a really funny thing! Thanks!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

These is downright funny, but some are a little hard to understand. Like, you all should try to use more gooder Inglish.
    They're just fish, right? Right?

How 'bout,

Wherever you go, there you are.
    Just 'cause you ain't paranoid, don't mean they ain't out to get you.
    Just because your head is pointed doesn't mean you're sharp.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Those were great!

However, the linguist in me compels me to point out that they were all similes, not metaphors.

Who cares? They were still great.
    Bob

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by redietz View Post
    Those were great!

However, the linguist in me compels me to point out that they were all similes, not metaphors.

Who cares? They were still great.
    i got them in an email that said "metaphors" but like you said "who cares"!

The linguist in me is wont to point out that three of them were, in fact, metaphors - not similes. But who cares.

Quote Originally Posted by flyguy66 View Post
    The linguist in me is wont to point out that three of them were, in fact, metaphors - not similes. But who cares.
    Only one. ("The young fighter ...")

The other two you're talking about use the words "resembled" or "exactly the way", which still count as simile; i.e. an explicit comparison. Your seventh grade English teacher may have actually said you need to use the words "like" or "as", but there are plenty of synonyms. My dictionary has the correct English teacher definition of simile : "... expressing likeness by the use of such terms as like, as, so, etc". Most people forget the "such terms as" part and remember only the "like" and "as" part.

My doctoral dissertation in computational linguistics was about metphor; I know somewhat what I'm talking about. (Unfortunately, I never finished it because I found out I could make a lot more money practicing NLP than writing about it -- which is probably why I'm sensitive to the subject. I sold my soul.)
    Bob

+ Reply to Thread