+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dai-Riki Hooks

Hybrid View

1. Default Dai-Riki Hooks

I need to buy some #20 scud hooks for midge nymphs for 16+ inch trout. I'd like to find a cheaper alternative to Tiemco and Gamakatsu. Eagle Claw Laser Sharps have proven to be too flimsy. How do the Dai-Rikis hold up?

i like dai-riki hooks.
    check out the 135 and 125.
    aquabone

As many already know I tie almost exclusively on DaiRiki's. I prefer the 125 emerger hook over the 135 because it has a straight eye and is lighter wire for the smaller sized imitations, but they are both great hooks and almost half the price of other name brand hooks.
    I had a size #14 scud tied on the 125 this past Fall and landed several good fish, but lost some real bruisers to the lighter wire 125. Went and bought some 135's for future use on stillwaters with larger fish.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Blog Entries

Many years ago I used to use Dai Riki 135 hooks, but they consistently had 3 bad hooks per package, and I got tired of having to sort through and toss those out. I stick with the TMCs now for scud hooks. TMCs get cheaper if you buy them by the hundred, too.

Just my experience.

Dennis

I have been tying on Dai-Riki hooks for over 6 years and have had no problems. I rarely find a bad hook. Maybe one out of every 400 has a deformed eye, I get a similar rate of bad hooks in the TMC hooks I use. I like the price and I like the handy plastic boxes they come in. The scud hooks with the offset shank seem to help my hook up rate. I would recommend them to anyone.

Dai-Riki's work well enough. Like DG, I've had some quality control issues (mostly open eyes or sharp burrs at the eye) but I've never lost a fish because of their hook. Stay with the heavier wire hook (135) if expecting bigger game. Personally prefer the TMC2488H, but as you say that is a more expensive hook.

Default Speaking of ...

... Dai-Riki 135 hooks, in size 16 for a midge larva, and 16" trout ( almost, anyway ). Taken today on the Bitterroot.

John

P.S. I tie about 95% of my flies on Dai-Riki's, from size 20 2X short 125's up to size 6 4XL 700 streamer hooks. Very seldom have ANY kind of problem with them, and can only remember losing a couple fish because of a problem with the hook.
    The fish are always right.

I use some hooks styles cheaper than Tiemco. Dai Riki isn't one of them. Too many deformed hooks, weak hooks, and I don't like the brightness. A guide on the San Juan did an unscientific test on spooky fish and found more refusals with Dai Rikis. Probably because of the shine. There are some other brands that aren't much better.
    I have been using Montana Fly Co. hooks. Slightly more than half of what TMC cost. Good quality. Limited styles, but growing.
    I fish premium gear and can't justify losing a fish to a hook breakage to save ten cents.
    Just an opinion based on the voices in my head.

Blog Entries

I got quite a few Dai-Riki hooks to try....so far I like them very much. I have not fished them enough to give you the okay on that though. I have not noticed any deformed hooks yet. The streamer hooks are not as sharp as Daiichi or Gamakatsu. The smaller hooks are quite sharp though that I purchased. So far I am pleased, and the price is good.

Quote Originally Posted by chewydog View Post
    I use some hooks styles cheaper than Tiemco. Dai Riki isn't one of them. Too many deformed hooks, weak hooks, and I don't like the brightness. A guide on the San Juan did an unscientific test on spooky fish and found more refusals with Dai Rikis. Probably because of the shine. There are some other brands that aren't much better.
    I have been using Montana Fly Co. hooks. Slightly more than half of what TMC cost. Good quality. Limited styles, but growing.
    I fish premium gear and can't justify losing a fish to a hook breakage to save ten cents.
    Just an opinion based on the voices in my head.
    Just for the counterpoint - I've caught something over 10,000 fish on Dai-Riki hooks over the past five years.

As indicated above, I've lost a couple fish due to hooks breaking, and with one of those the hook probably broke before fish ate the fly. The other one, I'm sure the hook broke when the fish ( a 17" cutthroat on the South Fork of the Snake ) hit it, wearing a Clark's salmonfly dressing. I suspect that I weakened the hook when I flattened the barb.

Just something to keep in mind - that "weak hooks" are more likely the result of the fly tier's work with the hook than with the manufacture of the hook.

I do believe that the San Juan guide's test was unscientific. Wonder what brand he generally touts ?? I suspect his scientific tests of that brand show outstanding results !!

John
    The fish are always right.

+ Reply to Thread