+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Take a peep at The Tongoriro River

Hybrid View

Smile Take a peep at The Tongoriro River

Not sure where to post this info so if I have it wrong, Please move to correct spot.

http://www.sportinglife-turangi.co.nz/pages/fishing.htm

is a site that gives up to date news on the Tongoriro River with a fair bit of other bits and pieces for anyone interested in New Zealand fishing.

Have fun navigating and don't miss out on the Web Cams.

I have no comercial interest in the Sponsor. Have Fun. Jax

I wanna go to NZ! It sure is pretty country. It just occurred to me, do browns spawn in the fall, and 'bows in the spring? Or at the same time as here in the Northern Hemisphere? Browns in October, 'bows in April? Are all the rivers hard to fish like we hear, or are there places you can catch a mess of brookies?

Hi Herefishy; Trout spawn mainly in the Autumn / Winter months June through August here with sporadic individual "double indemnity" spawning at intervals throughout the rest of the year.[ Mother Nature is too smart to put all her eggs in one basket]

Brookies NO! they never really got a foothold out here I wish they had. I do believe there are some some Isolated pockets scattered about some waters in the North Island

There are a few places with brook trout apparently. Lake Emily is supposed to be the best place for them (around Christchurch) though I've heard there are some around Rotorura. I've never seen one though, and , I've yet to meet anyone who's caught one.

Still, New Zealand has water suited to everyone, from the beginner to those looking for a real challange. Yes, there are spots where it can be a lot of work to find a fish just to put it down on the first cast. But there are other places where I've taken some friends and family who never cast a fly rod before and they caught fish. Fun stuff.

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

Quote Originally Posted by herefishy View Post
    I wanna go to NZ! It sure is pretty country. It just occurred to me, do browns spawn in the fall, and 'bows in the spring? Or at the same time as here in the Northern Hemisphere? Browns in October, 'bows in April? Are all the rivers hard to fish like we hear, or are there places you can catch a mess of brookies?
    Hi herefishy, you of course would be most welcome! Imho on the Tongariro the Browns tend to spawn in late summer to early autumn and the Rainbows tend to spawn in winter to early spring. But in Rotorua the Browns tend to be early summer to early autumn spawners and the Rainbows tend to spawn in late autumn to early spring. As the other Kiwis have said there are some Brookies but they are hard to find and I have only ever heard of them in Lakes.
    There are plenty of easy to access low country streams where you can expect to catch a few resident fish at any time of year, Indeed if you make it to NZ I will show you a couple. The back country trout tend to be a bit harder but as long as you can put down a reasonable cast and have a bit of streamcraft you should still get a couple of shots at some great fish!
    All the best.
    Mike.

Thanks, Kiwis, now I really want to go!

+ Reply to Thread