+ Reply to Thread

Thread: STUPID MOVES - Readers Cast (Angler Dave) - November 23, 2009

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Default STUPID MOVES - Readers Cast (Angler Dave) - November 23, 2009

STUPID MOVES

"If you spend anytime in the out of doors, sooner or later you are going to either witness, or more than likely be the originator of a stupid move. Be honest. We've all had them and know what they are. They are those "if hindsight was 20/20" decisions or actions that have caused us some embarrassment, or a "man am I lucky? type of encounter."
    Last edited by rtidd; 11-24-2009 at 09:12 PM.

I've done plenty over the years...

This past summer, I stepped off a rock, into what I thought was a solid bottom, that was actually soft mud, causing me to fall over, soaking my fishing vest, and ruining a pocket camera. Next time, I think I'll check how far down it is and verify that it is a solid bottom before taking a "leap of faith"

I also left the plug for my boat down near the ground, and my dog found it, and proceeded to bury it. I still haven't found that one. Now I keep the plug in my tackle box.

Paul
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Well, let's see, I was so interested in casting that i forgot to watch the depth. I didn't notice untill my waders started to float. I've done the hard bottom to slick clay fall. Put my boat in with the trolling motor down. It acted as a fulcrum when I tried to get in, and dumped the whole thing.

17-years old, decided to take my personal arsenal with me - .22, .12-gauge shotgun, .243 rifle w/scope for a day's rabbit hunting. Had a great day hunting and burning up ammo. Returned back to our group meeting area to retrieve our vehicles, put my cased guns on top of the car as I loaded other stuff up and, yes, you can guess the rest...
    Drove off in the twilight without a care in the world until I got a very sick, sinking feeling in my gut as I remembered the guns about 3-miles away! I had only made one turn out of the parking lot where I had loaded up the car, so I knew exactly where they would be. Sure enough, and luckily (if you could call it luck) it was dark enough that no one stopped and retrieved them, but also dark enough that no one saw them so they all three were run over. A few dings and scratches on the .22 and the shotgun, but the .243 stock was in 13 pieces and the barrel was almost at a 90 degree bend...stupid move. Rebuilt the .243 stock, new bedding job, gunsmith worked over the barrel and it shoots better now than it ever had prior.
    Thanks for the fun article.
    Live and learn,

Kelly.
    Last edited by kglissmeyer; 11-25-2009 at 12:34 AM.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Forgot my reel...

...... two trips in a row

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

About 12 years ago I bought a jon boat with a 25 horse power Johnson. It was an outboard motor with a tiller handle and a seperate fuel tank. I took the boat out for the very 1st time, launched it from the boat ramp like a pro. Even remembered to put the plug in. Only one problem, before I left I took the gas tank out of the boat to fill it up so I wouldn't spill gas in my boat. You guessed it, the fuel tank was sitting at my house in the driveway when I got home.

First fly fishing trip I ever made was last February with Jack Hise. I was so excited and I didn't want to look like a complete dunce. Jack was kind enough to give me some flies. I dropped one and bent over to pick it up. There was a sudden sickening ripping sound from the seat of my brand new waders. I thought the trip was over, but Jack took me to a place where I could wade in water up to my knees. I caught 5 rainbow trout, but the first one was the one that did me in. I only had him hooked for a few minutes, but that fish hooked me for life. Best part was Bass Pro warrantied the waders and I got a brand new and much better quality pair of waders.

hNt
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

+ Reply to Thread