+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BRITISH FLY FAIR INTERNATIONAL - 2009 - Eye of the Guide - November 23, 2009

Blog Entries

Default BRITISH FLY FAIR INTERNATIONAL - 2009 - Eye of the Guide - November 23, 2009

BRITISH FLY FAIR INTERNATIONAL - 2009

"The British Fly Fair International has just concluded its seventh year and WOW!!! For those of you, who never travel outside your own local haunts, believe me when I tell you that there is a whole wide wonderful world of Fly Tying and Fly Fishing out there.*"

Hope you werent serious when you wrote"I wish we have a show of this type in the UNITED sTATES which brings together such talent as the BFFI. I went to the web site for names. You must not attend some of the shows in the country with many big names. Some travel to shows around the world . BILL

Normand Guest

ya i have to agree with bill about attending the shows in the USA.

try a trip to the Fly fishing show put on every year in the USA or how about the Fly Tyers Symposium that was just held over the weekend in New Jersey, it attracks tyers from all over the world.

http://www.flyfishingshow.com/Home_Page.html

"I wish we had a show of this type in the United States, which brings together such a talent pool as the BFFI now has."

Check out the tyers in the link below

http://www.internationalflytyingsymp...sandtiers.html
    Last edited by Normand; 11-23-2009 at 05:48 PM.

Default "I wish we had a show" ????

I have a tying a fishing buddy who regularly ties at the Fly Fair. He sez' that it's great, but he will also tell ya' that ya' don't have to cross the pond to find excellent tyers at a show, either commercial shows or those of the Federation of Fly Fishers (FFF).

I know that as one who has been attending and tying at Federation of Fly Conclaves for over 20 years, I can tell ya' that there are a bunch of great shows (we in the Federation call 'em Conclaves) held across the USA each year.

You can find fabulous tyers at the FFF National conclave or many others, including the Southern Council and my own Gulf States Council.

Your link showed another regular tyer at FFF Conclaves, Tom Travis... Well for years the South Eastern Council Conclave held a "Breakfast with Tom Travis" at their Conclaves (I know cuz' I was one of those who started this tradition).

Oh, while I'm from a long way from WA, I've met some of your FFF west coast tyers and many are too good for words! It's always wonderful to get a chance to learn from them!

So whille we'd all like to be able to travel the world and see "their great tyers" don't pass up the chance to see the marvelous tyers here in the US at an FFF conclave near you!

Bowfin47

Cool Opps...

Breakfast with Tom Travis IS this Tom Travis. His photo in the article should have been a clue. Tom spends his time guiding, tying and writing in Livingston MT and winters in San Sabastian FL. He has been very active in FFF in the past, and at one time was in charge of the Casting Certification program. And yes, he is Neil's nephew.

Blog Entries

let me add my voice to those inviting one and all to attend the International Fly Tying Symposium in Somerset, NJ, each November. next year will be the 20th anniversary for the show.

at that show last weekend i was privileged to meet some of the very tyers who had attended the show in England. Mr. Travis' remarks about the kind of folk who tie in such shows and those who attend were right on--the nicest people you could hope to meet!

now, could someone help me figure out how to afford a trip to England? the dollar is on its way down again!
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Default Tom Travis

LadyFisher,

I understood that that was the same Tom Travis... there's only one!

I've had the pleasure of spending many hours tying and conclaving with Tom, and he is an offical in the Classic Atlantic Bream Fly Society.

Bowfin47

I enjoyed the article. It is always interesting (at least to me) what fly fishers in other countries are doing to promote the sport. Thanks Tom!
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Default Great Water Fly Fishing Expo

Midwest Fly Fishing Magizine, is the sponsor of two Fly Fishing/Fly Tying Expos each spring. First is in Chicago IL, coupld weeks later in Bloomington MN. Excellent Speaker fill, the lecture halls, during the 3 day event (Friday/Saturday/Sunday). Lot of fly tiers from the various fly fishing organizations, lot of company reps displaying the lastest in fly fishing gear. Many outfitters and fishing lodges are also at the show, if you are interested in one of those special lifetime fishing expeditions.

~Parnelli

+ Reply to Thread