+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ANOTHER NAME - Ladyfisher - November 23, 2009

Blog Entries

Default ANOTHER NAME - Ladyfisher - November 23, 2009

ANOTHER NAME

"Of course once you write an article about the person you think has influenced fly fishing the most, then you just have to expect someone to either tell you you?re wrong, or drop a name and expect an answer or comment."

Smile

I have never gotten to meet Lefty although I have read a number of his books. He is one of fly fishing's most well known ambassadors

Lefty's always been somewhat of a hero to me.
    He's the same age as my Dad and they look enough alike that they could almost be twins.. right down to the up-downer hat.

I had a chance to visit with him a few years ago at a show.
    He was sitting all by himself at the TFO booth and looking lonely.
    I had books to be signed so I took advantage of no one else vying for his attention.
    We had a nice conversation and I felt his love
    He actually cracked a joke at my expense
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I think it does no good to try and name THE person who has had THE MOST influence on fly fishing. We are all products of our forebearers. That includes Ernie Schiebert and Lefty Krey. And I think it actually slights all of those whom we may think should be named.

But I know there is a short list of names of those whom we all know have left very large footprints in the sands of the history of fly fishing that will never truly disappear. Schwiebert and Krey are certainly among them! So are the likes of Lee and Joan Wulff, Krieger, Whitlock, and Powell...just to name a few. But let's not forget...and I am in no way being flip or sucking up...the amazing reach and power of the Internet, and that it dwarfs all that has come before it in its ability to reach people all over the world with information in formats most useful for learning and motivating. And with that in mind, I submit that 2 more names that must be considered for that list are:

Jim Birkholm and Deanna Travis

Smile Lefty is Great

You are correct young lady. Lefty IS a gentleman, even to other men. I'm sure you've heard his joke...
    "Have you ever watched your back cast?"

Student, "Nope."

"If I had a back cast like yours I wouldn't watch it either!"

The entire crowd haw-haws with laughter. The point is... when you are laughing at yourself, you will never forget what the man says. It certainly doesn't hurt to turn to look at your back cast once in a while to see the timing of the line. It's one of the ways to learn the rod you are using, and as a beginner, learn the "feel" of the rod. I know he taught me!

+ Reply to Thread