+ Reply to Thread

Thread: where?

Blog Entries

Default where?

sunny day. kinda shallow hole.
    where was the 18 inch brown laying?

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_54y7o7P0PP...00/TDLIUP3.jpg
    bigger view

Right hand side of the river....just upstream of that bare spot you see on the bank.......

Modoc Country.... Extreme N.E. California high desert
    Blog Entries

That's my theory too, Sully.................ModocDan

Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

where the smudged piece , it was the only way I know how to do it, I would like to have put the words "you can see him here"

he is sitting just out from the white rock..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    As in the Army, I have never had a bad day Fly fishing, some damn uncomfortable days but never a bad one!
    Everyone must believe in something and I believe in Fly Fishing and Fly Tying and believe I will
    Member of Project Healing Waters & Fly Fishing Canada, Project Healing Waters Canada

Blog Entries

Default we have a winner

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Creek View Post
    Wisconsin angler.
    Have you fished this area before?

Quote Originally Posted by spinner1 View Post
    Wisconsin angler.
    Have you fished this area before?

I've never fished this spot before. The last time I fished the Driftless Area had to be over 20 years ago. It would require an overnight stay.

The reason I chose that spot is that I figured the fish would be in soft water right next to the current edge.

There are then two choices, the right or the left side. If it is on the right side, it would be up against the bank. The water is shallower on the right side and the fish would be more exposed. The water is deeper on the left side so it is safer.

The second reason is water velocity. The fish has much "softer" water with less current on the left side, so it can maintain it's position more easily.

The third reason is that there is greater current volume on the left side which is closer to the middle of the stream. The center of the current has a greater volume of water and a greater volume means more food is in the current.

Note that water velocity and volume are not the same. The velocity is greater on the right because the bank limits the distance the fish can move away from the current. On the left, the fish can move further to the left or it can get right down to the bottom to get away from the current. So there is greater shelter potential on the left.

The only reason for the fish to be on the right side is if terrestrials were falling in from the bank or overhanging vegetation. There are no overhanging branches or grass to provide overhead shade and cover or any falling insects.

The fourth reason is the length of the drift. On the right side, the fish has to make a quick decision because there is little room for him to drift back and leisurely examine the fly. On the left side, the fish can stay in the quiet water and the drift lane is longer and slower.

So safety, shelter, more food, and a longer drift lane are all reasons the fish should be on the left side of the current.

There are two other reasons for the left side. You said it was a sunny day. Fish don't have eyelids so they are sensitive to bright light. There is no shade anywhere, so the only way to escape bright light is water depth.

The final reason is the size of the window. The deeper a fish holds, the larger the window. The larger the window, the more surface food that enters the window.

The right side next to the bank limits the depth that the fish can hold. So it is more exposed to the bright sunlight and the fish has a smaller window to see surface food.

Again the left side is better.

Take away lesson is that each situation is individual. You need to study each situation. It is wrong to automatically chose the bank as the best lie.

Look to the biological needs of a trout. Safety is first, then shelter from the current, then amount of food, and finally the time the fish has to examine the food. All factors are better in the deeper softer water on the left side.

The main exception to this order of importance is if there is a hatch on. The fish will temporarily go to feeding position that has greater current and less safety during hatches but this is temporary feeding lie. The second exception is during spawning. The final exception is to find cool water to survive, the fish can be in unsafe positions.
    Last edited by Silver Creek; 11-23-2009 at 04:49 PM.
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Default bravo

quite a detailed explanation!

This post is a definite Learning Experience.

Having not seen the answer yer, I agreed with SilverCreek. Although, not for near as many reasons.
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

+ Reply to Thread