Been kicking this one around in my head and bouncing it off of friends for a while...

We all tie flies differently, at different cosmetic and skill levels. Not all of our efforts come out the 'same' and often there is quite a variation in flies tied of a particular type from say, the 'first dozen ever' to the last ones you've tied. We do learn as we tie, and it's common for there to be variations and often marked improvements.

How do you guys feel about the flies you tie as far as which 'specific' ones you fish?

I firmly believe that what has been termed 'ugly' flies will catch fish...no argument with that and that's not what I'm asking about...even poorly tied flies certainly do work as far as the mere catching of fish goes.

I intelectially 'know' all of this, yet....

I usually find myself grabbing the 'best' fly of whichever pattern I want to fish first. If I come up with a variation or change in how I tie the fly that makes it come out better, I'll use those, often relegating the earlier versions to the storage bins where they seldom, if ever, find a chance to hit the water.

I don't often think about why I do it, it's just something I've always done.

I'd like to think that, if there is a 'conscious' reason for it, it has to do with respect for the fish or the fishing itself. Something as simple as feeling that the moment, the fish, the water, the summation of the whole experience, deserve my 'best efforts'. (Or, it could be just as simple as maybe subconsciously I believe that the 'nicer' flies will catch moire fish..)

Am I alone in this?

Maybe this explains another reason why some of us tie our own flies.

Buddy