+ Reply to Thread

Thread: WildSmart with human-wildlife interactions

Hybrid View

Default WildSmart with human-wildlife interactions

http://www.wildsmart.ca

I found this website about WildSmart with human-wildlife interactions. I come realize that alot of us, on both sides of the Canada/US border aren't really wild-smart. How many of us really know " how " use bear spray and " how " many of use really know how to use a bear banger. This website has video's and show us how to be wild-smart... ( the grizzly video's are great )

I realize that this website was made in Canada.. but wildlife really don't know there a line there .....

Ski

Wink

Ski -

Greetings and welcome from SW Montana.

Nice way to introduce yourself to the Bulletin Board. Bear spray always starts some controversy here, even though most studies show that it deters most bear attacks while folks using guns are more likely to shoot themselves than scare the bear. Oh, well, just thought I'd stir the pot for you.

Thanks for posting the link.

John
    The fish are always right.

I think something that confuses a lot of people out west is how differently bears behave in the park versus out of the park. The few times I've seen a bear in the Wind Rivers, at the first sign of me, it takes off...

In the park, they are conditioned to having humans around thus they don't seem to run.

As for guns versus spray... to each their own, I am in the group that prefers spray.
    Life is expensive... but it does include a free trip around the sun.
    Mottled Fly Fisher - My Fishing Blog

Hi Guy's ...
    Welcome to the Kootenay Region of British Columbia...

Ok, I'm puzzled about this controversy as to Bear spray. Let me explain, here in British Columbia like most of Canada, we have gun control program. All this program is a Tax grab for the Canadain Government. It doesn't take guns outa of the hands of the bad guys .. any less ...

That being said ... unless you wanna jump through hoops to get these three licences to own and carry a firearm just to protect yourself with a gun while your out fishing ,, well ... go for it ,,,

So, bear spray is the next best thing ....

As for branhap coment ... we have two types of bears here in B.C. ... wild bears and garbage bears ... wild bears run from us when they see humans ...... Garbage bears keep on eating ,,,

Just thought I would post a link to some commentary on the subject of bear spray vs guns.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...inst-grizzlies

Be sure to follow the link to the USFWS article on the subject.

I have had minimal direct experience with bears. But in the several situations I happened onto a bear, several black bears and a couple grizzlies, they either fled or ignored me. My own sense is that the more remote the setting, the less likely you will have a problem with a bear.

About ten years ago, I was camping / hiking on the eastern front of the Rockies west of Choteau MT. Very remote. I ran into a USFS Ranger who had worked that area for twenty five years. In all that time, he told me that they had never had a problem between a bear and a human. He ended the conversation by pointing out that the largest grizzly he had ever seen had, just a couple years earlier, walked through the very campsite I had been in the night before.

John

Here's another, more detailed commentary on the subject.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0325171221.htm
    Last edited by JohnScott; 11-22-2009 at 10:10 PM.
    The fish are always right.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnScott View Post
    Just thought I would post a link to some commentary on the subject of bear spray vs guns.

http://www.nationalparkstraveler.com...inst-grizzlies

Be sure to follow the link to the USFWS article on the subject.

I have had minimal direct experience with bears. But in the several situations I happened onto a bear, several black bears and a couple grizzlies, they either fled or ignored me. My own sense is that the more remote the setting, the less likely you will have a problem with a bear.

About ten years ago, I was camping / hiking on the eastern front of the Rockies west of Choteau MT. Very remote. I ran into a USFS Ranger who had worked that area for twenty five years. In all that time, he told me that they had never had a problem between a bear and a human. He ended the conversation by pointing out that the largest grizzly he had ever seen had, just a couple years earlier, walked through the very campsite I had been in the night before.

John

Thanks for the article John I saved it ..., I know lots of guys that would love to see it

ski

+ Reply to Thread