+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wood Fly Rod Grips...

Blog Entries

The rattan does make a classy grip. Wood does too, though.

I went to http://classiccustomwood.com/ and there is a big notice across the page that wood grips are not currently available.

I like the idea of turning my own. I could turn in basswood and wrap with rattan or in the more exotic woods and turn the matching seat insert at the same time.
    Kevin

Be careful how you live. You may be the only Bible some person ever reads.

That's a fine rattan handle and reel seat Mojo!
    Perfect with the Hardy Featherweight!
    Nice pic also!

Bob
    Last edited by bobbyg; 11-22-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    When you can arrange your affairs to go fishing, forget all the signs, homilies, advice and folklore. JUST GO.

Default wood grips

I have been making wood, wood/cork, and wood/antler handles for quite awhile now. I too use Tru-oil to finish and have never had a problem with slippery feel. Wood doesn't have to be heavy. Many woods are fairly light and if they are heavy they can be bored out and add foam or cork arbors in to them. I have also made them from the bark of red fir and bull pine. Those are a little more difficult to deal with but come out very custom looking.

Also those grips that Cabelas used to offer were made by Steve Moran out of Spokane WA. He still builds custom rods with the wood handles and you might be able to buy one from him.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by baitwaister View Post
    I have been making wood, wood/cork, and wood/antler handles for quite awhile now. I too use Tru-oil to finish and have never had a problem with slippery feel. Wood doesn't have to be heavy. Many woods are fairly light and if they are heavy they can be bored out and add foam or cork arbors in to them. I have also made them from the bark of red fir and bull pine. Those are a little more difficult to deal with but come out very custom looking.

Also those grips that Cabelas used to offer were made by Steve Moran out of Spokane WA. He still builds custom rods with the wood handles and you might be able to buy one from him.
    Thanks, baitwaister, I'll try and track him down. Would love to do another custom with a wood handle.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

Quote Originally Posted by baitwaister View Post

Thanks, baitwaister, I'll try and track him down. Would love to do another custom with a wood handle.

Kelly.
    Tight Lines,

Kelly.

"There will be days when the fishing is better than one's most optimistic forecast, others when it is far worse. Either is a gain over just staying home."

Roderick Haig-Brown, "Fisherman's Spring"

here is the link to Steve's web page.
    http://www.stevemoranscustomrods.com/rods.html
    If he can't help you, I can build you handle. You can e-mail me at dickross@hotmail.com.

+ Reply to Thread