+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: How old was you when you started flyfishing?

I was about 19. That was over 40 years ago.

jed

I started flyfishing at about 19 years old, going after crappies with a store bought mickey fin fly and a Kmart special flyrod and reel. Ahhhhhh, those were the days.........

Mike
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

When ? Summer of '61...I was 10
    Where ? Spillway of a little dam the neighbor had ona little creek in Southern MI
    Rod was a 4' solid glass monstrosity, designed to frustrate young boys, with an even worse reel. Fly was something I cobbld up on a #10 cut shank bait hook from sewing thread, part of my mom's feather duster and a feather from one of the leghorns we kept for eggs.
    Caught fair number of small sunnies and chubs with an occational miniture largemouth .
    First trout on a fly : Small rainbow onthe Kern River in 1964 , after we moved to Long Beach, Ca.

Palm Bay, Florida/Rock River Wyoming, USA

Started back about 1950 or so. Must have been around 8. Cousin took me with him on several outings to Burr Oak lake in Ohio and other lakes nearby. Fished with a Montague Bamboo, Auto reel and for Bass. Likely the first fish was a bass or Bluegill but don't recall it.
    Good Fishing,

Chuck S (der Aulte Jaeger)

"I've traveled a long way and some of the roads weren't paved"

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/

I was about 12 years old, which would have been around 1954. I had a fly tying kit I got for my birthday, a 9' fiberglass rod, level line, automatic reel, and a leader that consisted of a piece of spinning line. I actually caught fish on a fly cobbled together by a 12 year old with no instruction and no experience, thus proving that it isn't necessary to have a perfect match to the hatch.

Now, I have a lot more equipment, and a box of flies I have tied that must number in the thousands. I catch more fish, but probably don't have any more fun doing it.

Oh, and I no longer ride my bike to the stream, but the trip is a lot longer. There is something to be said for living within a few hundred yards of a trout stream.

Smile

I was 34. that was ten years ago. Never looked back. I no longer own any hardware or the spinning/casting gear to chuck it.
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

I spin fished until I was 20 then started in the mines that year, the wall crew I was on all fished but they were all seasoned fly fishermen 90% for salmon.So the next spring I got a fly rod from Can Tire at age 21 and got my first memmorable fish a salmon,in a stillwater in Framboise,never picked up a spinning rod again.Mines closed in 2000 I never fished for several years due to a accident at work and subsequent health issues but was able to get back at it 2 years ago but my fishing partner turned to the" Dark Side" in my absence and turned to golf. Iam now 54.

Good to hear you got your health back and you're back to fly fishing, it shure gives one a lot beeing out in nature.

One of my fishing buddies always says: "May there be more and more people who start playing golf, then there are more fishing left for us who fish".

I was 58, that was 7 years ago. My first rod was self built on an IM6 blank from netcraft. I still fish that ugly piece of graffite, a 9' 5/6 wt. Caught everything from bluegills to steelheads with it. Caught my first trout, a beautiful Mason Tract (AuSable) brookie on it.

Bill

So, how old was you?

I was 18 yrs old (currently 38yrs old)

What kind of rod did you have?

It was an old fiberglass Siplex fly rod that I got from my grandfather after he passed away.

Where did you go?

Au Sable river in Grayling Michigan just downstream of Burtons landing

Who with?

My dad

What was the first fish you caught?

About a 6-7" Brookie

Even remember the fly it took, it was a Joe's Hopper pattern.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread