+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fire Steel

Default Fire Steel

Just in case some of yoll might be interested... I ordered a fire steel monday morning, came in today... Tried it out this evening... This is the best one that is made & ive used several different brands makes & models... This thing works so well it will even start grass, leaves, paper or bark on fire without having to carry tinder around with ya... If ya do lotsa camping, extended fishin trips, hiking or whatever I would git one... Heres the link to the one I bought but they have different sizes, models,,, some with & without handles... There is a video near the bottom half of the page... Didnt intend this to sound like a advertizement but Im so pleased with its preformance that i just had to share it...

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_...&products_id=4

I got the striker to go with it...

http://goinggear.com/index.php?main_...roducts_id=350
    Last edited by bugman; 11-20-2009 at 12:30 AM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

Those fire steels are much nicer versions than the little 2 inch boy scout steels that I have. I may have to get a couple for stocking stuffers.
    Glenn

Cool stuff.

Where's survivor man?
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

My wife use to sell Fire Pistons through her webstore, but couldn't keep up with the orders

They're all hand made and work on the same principle as a diesel engine. When air molecules are rapidly compressed within the cylinder, the temperature of the air becomes hot enough to cause combustion. A single thrust of the piston ignites tinder placed in the end of the shaft. Since fire pistons create fire through compression, they function even after complete submersion and make an excellent addition to survival gear. The fire-piston is capable of creating a live ember in a fraction of a second and open flames in less than 30 seconds... even in windy conditions.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Quote Originally Posted by dudley View Post
    My wife use to sell Fire Pistons through her webstore, but couldn't keep up with the orders

They're all hand made and work on the same principle as a diesel engine. When air molecules are rapidly compressed within the cylinder, the temperature of the air becomes hot enough to cause combustion. A single thrust of the piston ignites tinder placed in the end of the shaft. Since fire pistons create fire through compression, they function even after complete submersion and make an excellent addition to survival gear. The fire-piston is capable of creating a live ember in a fraction of a second and open flames in less than 30 seconds... even in windy conditions.
    I have one of those I made myself out of alluminum... Took a few tries on making one before getting one that actually worked... I keep it in my caving equipment bag... Im somewhat lazy so i prefer the fire steel cause i get instant fire without having to nurse a glowing ember inside a nest... It works even if its wet also but then again ya gotta prepare tinder from whata available unless you carry some around with ya... Every type of fire starter has its own advantages and disadvantages... I used to use a bow drill to start campfires but that takes work & time but dont have to worry about carrying fire starters around cause ya can just make one from things around you...
    Last edited by bugman; 11-20-2009 at 10:44 PM.
    A.S.F 5th GP ...TO FIGHT SO OTHERS MAY REMAIN FREE...

+ Reply to Thread