Thread: Digital cameras: shutter delay?

Threaded View

Default Digital cameras: shutter delay?

Hi all!
    I've only used a couple of digital cameras before. While they both take nice photos, they both have a noticeable delay before the shutter closes once I've depressed the release button. This makes it really hard to take photos of anything that might move (like a fish), at least for me.

I don't like to keep fish out of water or laying on the bank just so I can get a photo, so my attempts to photograph fish with a digital camera, while fishing alone, have been met with failure. I know, I know....I shouldn't go fishing alone, but sometimes it just works out that way.

Anyway, to the point: Do all digital cameras have this noticeable shutter delay? I've thought of getting a nice waterproof/water resistant digital camera like the Pentax Optio WR series, but am reluctant to spend that kind of money on something that cannot take action shots due to the shutter delay issue.

If this is an inherant "feature" of digital cameras, maybe I'll resort to just using a water resistant disposable camera for fishing. I've owned a couple of nice 35mm SLR's years ago, with multple lenses and filters, etc., and became fairly accomplished with them, but they're not what you'd call compact, and the ease of sharing photos is much nicer with a digital camera.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise related to digital cameras.
    Last edited by LeoCreek; 11-19-2009 at 10:24 AM.