+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got my first bamboo!!

nighthawk Guest

Default Got my first bamboo!!

After much debate I opted to purchase the less expensive rod of the the ones I was looking at. It's an old M64 King Fisher that needs a little work but I figured it would be a good rod for my first restoration project. Actually the rod is in very good shape considering it's age and the use that it saw in years past. The finish, grips and reel seat are in good shape. There are no nicks, dings, cracks or any damage to the rod. The original decals are all there and in good shape as well. I plan to replace the guides and ferrules. I got this rod cheap and will probably end up spending more on it than it's worth. Well it all fits within my budget and the value of a rod cannot be measured by money alone. Kind of like in J.C.'s article I just couldn't pass it up. Any advice on bamboo building books and videos would be helpful. I hope to have the rod finished for opening day here in Pennsylvania.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

I unfortunately don't have any advice for you, but wanted to say congradulations! That sounds like a fun project.

Adam

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Great project! I have the feeling that this is going to be the first of many such restorations. In a few months, YOU may be the bamboo advice guy. Best of luck with your boo. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

You are gonna have some serious fun! And as much fun as you will have working on the rod -- just wait untill you hook your first fish on it. I am convinced the best information on restoring is in the books on building from scratch. May I suggest "Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly-Rod" by Maurer and Elser. Golden Witch has it and if you are gonna be playing arround with bamboo you should get to know the folks there. Check out there on line cat. Once you have the stripped rod in your hands (assuming no repair work needed) the steps are pretty much the same as building from scratch.
    No doubt you will have questions as you go along. Post them on the rod builders board here and you are likely to get some excellent advise from some pretty savy folks. Just remember there are many ways to do the same thing, some better some not, some are just different, so don't be dismayed by differing answers.
    AgMD

You ARE going to have a good time. I did the same thing several years back. And I can tell you from experience you get a personal satisfaction from "doing It yourself". Don't be in a hurry to "git her done"! It took me two years to solve all the problems incurred in rebuilding my "hand me down" rod. And each time I use it I feel the time was well spent!
    Ron (Pa)

Nighthawk, as a fellow bamboo aficianado, I would strongly urge you to find a bamboo rodmaker in your area to guide you through some of the finer points. A few years ago I got interested in 'Boo and decided to take a class offered by a local rodmaker. It was well worth the time and money, and I came away from the experience with an good body of rodmaking knowledge, as well as valuable experience that would have been nearl impossible on my own. And did I forget to mention my rod? I've purchased several more bamboo rods since then, but none hold more value in my eyes than the one I built myself.

nighthawk,
    If the ferrules are servicable I'd consider keeping them since if this is a 3 piece rod with 2 tips the cost of replacement ferrules (Goldenwitch sells replicas which are of better quality then the originals but look similar in appearance)will cost you in the $100 range, plus you plan on replacing the guides (which is a good idea) etc.

I don't know if your local library has them but many will order books through a library consortium and the ones I'd recommend are:

Michael Sinclairs Bamboo Rod Restoration Handbook

The Bamboo Rod by Claude Kreider

Handcrafting Bamboo Rods by Wayne Cattanach

The Lovely Reed by Jack Howell

How to make bamboo rods by George Barnes

Most of these are out of print (and very expensive if looking to purchase them) although a paperback version of Kreiders book is available and Kathy Scott (kat) has some of George Barnes books available.

I don't know where you are in PA but a good friend is rodmaker Bill Taylor and you might be able to meet with him if you give him a call. Bringing an old work horse back to life is a worthwhile adventure enjoy it....

------------------
    Oct Woods
    Visit my website:
    [url=http://mysite.verizon.net/vze2h7gi/fishnbanjossliceoflifeincyberspacecopy/index.html:cd5ec]Fishnbanjos Place[/url:cd5ec]

Eric,
    That's GREAT! It'll spoil you for sure!
    Be sure to post some of your questions on the rodbuilders forum here....My buddy Leo (dleo6446) restored my SouthBend 291 & it's BEAUTIFUL! I'm sure he would help with some advice if you ask. Tell him "Mikey sent you!".
    Mike

------------------
    This site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

Thanks for the comments and advice. It will be very helpful. I live about 40 miles from Bob Clouser and think I'll pay him a visit. Sorry I haven't been real attentive to this post. Went to the doctor today and I have acute sinusitis. In doc's words, "One wicked sinus infection". my head feels like those blimps they have at Goodyear in Akron. Mike, if you see my head go floating by please corral it for me.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Eric, congratulations on your King Fisher. Pretty neat little rods aren't they. I did some work on a couple of those over the years and they are not too bad at all. October Woods gave you some really solid advice on the ferrules. Beleve me, that man knows his bamboo probably better than anyone around. I would second his motion on the ferrules. If they are solid and not cracked, I would use them as long as they still fit well. If not, there are a couple of sources for ferrules that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Another thing to look for on those rods is a loose reel seat. Sometimes it will only manifest itself as a slight movement but it if moves at all, I would remove it, clean it really well and reglue it.

You are going to have a blast reworking that rod and you have been given fair wraning that it is addictive. Good luck with it, and keep in mind there is a lot of help here in this board. There are a lot of people on here that have the knowledge and the skill sets to help with just about anything you run up against.

(Thanks for those kind words Mikey....looking forward to Au Sable and seeing you again... for the first time in 40 years)

Leo

+ Reply to Thread