It seems that most of the threads here regarding furled leaders orient to furled leaders for smaller flies, dry flies, generally, and sinking furled leaders made for nymphs and swinging wet flies.

On and off, I use a beefed up 210 denier Danville Flymaster Plus leader on my fast action 7 wt for fishing weighted stonefly nymphs, sometimes in tandem, under an indicator for long drifts on larger rivers.

Thought I would pass along some information on how the leader is constructed, and maybe get some feedback from others who are making their own furled leaders for bigger flies.

My furling jig, which is a lot different that the boards used by those using Kathy Scott's method, starts with a leader length of about 84". The end product is a leader of about 68" ( about 20% reduction from the starting length ).

The leader is a 14-12-10 configuration. Simply a matter of adding a couple more strands to each side of each section of the smaller leaders furled with a 10-8-6 configuration.

The leader proportions are approx 40% butt section, 30% mid section, and 30% tip section. I incorporate a tip ring before starting the furling process. For fishing the bigger nymphs, I use anywhere from 3'-4' of 2x leader for a single fly, and add another 12"-18" of 2X tippet if I am trailing a second nymph.

The indicator is placed on the furled leader far enough up from the tip to get the fly ( flies ) down for the current speed and depth being fished. In shallower water, I'm more inclined to shorten the tippet than move the indicator down the leader.

As to attaching the indicator to the leader, my indicators have a loop at the bottom. Simply form a loop in the furled leader where the indicator goes, push that through the loop in the indicator, take the looped furled leader over the indicator and snug it down - forming a "handshake" loop connection. This method of attaching the indicator to the furled leader results in an indicator that stays put, but can also be easily moved up or down the leader as conditions ( current speed and depth ) change.

It always surprises me how well this beefed up thread furled leader handles big flies under an indicator. Under good casting conditions, it is possible to throw a fairly tight loop, and when the loop gets to the leader, the leader just kind of "kicks" the flies over. An interesting sight for sure.

Anyway, thought I would pass this along, and maybe get some ideas from others using heavier duty versions of furled leaders for the bigger and heavier flies.

John